• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
    ... Despite still buying a lot at Midway, I find that they are now my #3 or #4 choice because of their shipping costs. I have an Amazon PRIME account and other than reloading components (which they don't carry) the "delivered to door" cost is often cheapest on Amazon.
    Absolutely mirrors my experience. As Savage Shooter mentions, Amazon does not carry most reloading components (they do have brass), BUT - they do carry items such as reloading dies, presses and other accessories. In addition, I've found they usually have what I'm looking for when it comes to items like stocks, magazines, BUIs, hand guards, LPK's, etc. Many of these items qualify for Amazon Prime, and almost all are retailing at less than at MidwayUSA, Brownell's or Cabela's. The bonus is that "Prime" items arrive in two business days. What's not to like?
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-16-2015, 05:21 PM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I spent over $6000 with Midway in 2013, less than $3500 in 2014 and less than $1200 thus far in 2015. While I have a lot of "stuff" that I don't need to buy again for many years, which partially explains my drop-off in purchases there is still a lot more gear that I am buying elsewhere. I recently wrote to Midway and told them that if they would/could do something about their shipping costs and promotions (for example, allow FREE SHIPPING on orders over $200 regardless if the items are on sale or not) they could gain my business back. I explained that I WANTED to spend more with them, but their shipping costs were prohibitive. I sent them copes of some recent purchases on Amazon and screen shots of my aborted orders from Midway for the same item. The Customers sales rep just said they can't compete with Amazon on shipping costs and blew me off.
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I love my Amazon Prime Membership (I rarely walk into a store now. I even get my dog food and some of my groceries/hygiene products delivered now.) and I've also found some great deals there.

I normally find my best deals at joeboboutfitters.com. Shipping is free on orders over $90 regardless of sale prices.

If you watch you can catch an item on a great sale at DSGarms.com

Midsouthshootersupply and powdervalley.net have the best prices in reloading components, in my experience.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
          ...The Customers sales rep just said they can't compete with Amazon on shipping costs and blew me off.
          Well, Larry Potter is in competition with more than just Amazon, when it comes to shipping. Both Cabela's and Brownell's ship for less, and are often at the same price point for the merchandise. The only thing I think MidwayUSA has over the above mentioned competitors is sheer variety of selection.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Unfortunately, most of what I am interested in now at Midway is often out of stock. I agree with Cory, that Powdervalley and Midsouthshootersupply have the best component prices - unfortunately, they are also often out of stock. Midsouth used to allow you to place back orders for items that Midway wouldn't and I sent a lot of my purchases to them because of that option - unfortunately they discontinued allowing back orders a few months back, so they lost one of their biggest advantages over some of their competitors.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

and 5 boxes ordered should last me a month or so.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

I did bite and buy a bunch of various Hornady bullets in different calibers - enough to make the shipping bearable over a bunch of units (great price on the 90 gr Hornady XTPs for my wife's .380). I did pick up some of the 120 GR .264/6.5 AMAxs since they were also on sale. I know that most here swear by the 123s, but I have a 1/9 twist barrel (although the 24" barrel will give higher rpms given that I'll have higher velocity than 1/8 or 1/8.75 18" barrels). Anyone have much experience with the 120 AMAXs or are the 123s that much better?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

I haven't loaded them, so this is hearsay, but it'll give you food for thought: LR1955, a moderator here who knows of what he speaks, likes them for their forgiving performance. Others don't like them because the fatter ogive makes them load to less than max magazine-length OAL in the SAAMI chamber, as well as not having as good a BC as the 123s.
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                  X