• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Grendel Pistol build

Just got a 10.5 5.56 pistol and shot it Monday... FUN! But it's size also makes it a good HD and portable gun. Eventually I plan to build a 6.5 upper for it but want the Hordes input on barrel length... 10.5 or 12.5???
    10.5"
    0%
    12.5"
    0%
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I couldn't pick....... because you don't have an option for both!

I have a 10.5" SBR that is my current "go-to" rig, but I'm in the process of building a 12.5" also.

Home Defense? I'd go 10.5" with an Aimpoint and suppress it.

Hunting out to longer ranges with a magnified optic? I'd go with a 12.5" for some extra velocity to get the expansion you want past the shorter ranges.

It's all just a small tradeoff. I have a 14.5" that'd do fine, but I don't like all that extra barrel sticking out between the can and the rail if I don't really need it.

ETA: You really should short barrel rifle it (if at all possible). They're too awkward (in my opinion) without a real stock.
    Last edited by Variable; 05-08-2015, 05:05 AM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• danm
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      I couldn't pick....... because you don't have an option for both!

I have a 10.5" SBR that is my current "go-to" rig, but I'm in the process of building a 12.5" also.

Home Defense? I'd go 10.5" with an Aimpoint and suppress it.

Hunting out to longer ranges with a magnified optic? I'd go with a 12.5" for some extra velocity to get the expansion you want past the shorter ranges.

It's all just a small tradeoff. I have a 14.5" that'd do fine, but I don't like all that extra barrel sticking out between the can and the rail if I don't really need it.

ETA: You really should short barrel rifle it (if at all possible). They're too awkward (in my opinion) without a real stock.
      Not making this easy are you?!?!?!? I know it's never ending so I guess 10.5 first to go along with my 18" 6.5... And yes eventually SBR... Thanks. BTW what kind of velocities are you getting out of your 10.5?

Comment

• pinetreebbs
        Warrior
        • Nov 2013

I built a 14" barreled .223 pistol, very handy and shoots quite well too. One negative, it is a rude SOB be next to at the range.

I have a forward throwing muzzle device I have yet to install. I have one to install on my next build, a AAC Blackout pistol and would recommend them for all pistol builds. I would have built a Grendel pistol next, however I won three 10.5" AAC Blackout barrels in an auction.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by danm View Post
          Not making this easy are you?!?!?!? I know it's never ending so I guess 10.5 first to go along with my 18" 6.5... And yes eventually SBR... Thanks. BTW what kind of velocities are you getting out of your 10.5?

Here is a cut and paste from an old thread:

10 shot strings...

10.5" Grendel without suppressor
          Hornady 123 Amax factory load (1st batch)
          Lo- 2155
          Hi- 2212
          Avg. 2179fps
          ES- 57.67
          SD- 16.64

10.5" Grendel with 762SD suppressor
          Lo- 2171
          Hi- 2216
          Avg. 2198fps
          ES- 45.11
          SD- 12.68

Weather was hot and the chrono was probably about 12-15 feet. I don't have the details because I always posted everything to the board from my post-it's and/or scrap paper. I suck at record keeping, because I counted on using the board which some bastard crashed...

10.5" Grendel
          Wolf 120gr. MPT without can--I think? (we're literally talking written on the back of a receipt here....)
          Avg. 2101fps
          ES- 76.89
          SD- 23.28

On the same slip it lists the 123gr. Lapua AA factory load as:
          Lo- 2099
          Hi- 2177
          Avg. 2148fps
          ES- 77.47
          SD- 22.09

Hopefully that helps.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by pinetreebbs View Post
            I built a 14" barreled .223 pistol, very handy and shoots quite well too. One negative, it is a rude SOB be next to at the range.

I have a forward throwing muzzle device I have yet to install. I have one to install on my next build, a AAC Blackout pistol and would recommend them for all pistol builds. I would have built a Grendel pistol next, however I won three 10.5" AAC Blackout barrels in an auction.
            I have an SAA Dragons Head muzzle device on my pistol (and Grendel), they call it a break but it's really a linear compensator as everything is ported downrange... Still a bit louder than my 16" 5.56 upper though

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
              Here is a cut and paste from an old thread:

10 shot strings...

10.5" Grendel without suppressor
              Lo- 2155
              Hi- 2212
              Avg. 2179fps
              ES- 57.67
              SD- 16.64

10.5" Grendel with 762SD suppressor
              Lo- 2171
              Hi- 2216
              Avg. 2198fps
              ES- 45.11
              SD- 12.68

Weather was hot and the chrono was probably about 12-15 feet. I don't have the details because I always posted everything to the board from my post-it's and/or scrap paper. I suck at record keeping, because I counted on using the board which some bastard crashed...

10.5" Grendel
              Wolf 120gr. MPT without can--I think? (we're literally talking written on the back of a receipt here....)
              Avg. 2101fps
              ES- 76.89
              SD- 23.28

On the same slip it lists the 123gr. Lapua AA factory load as:
              Lo- 2099
              Hi- 2177
              Avg. 2148fps
              ES- 77.47
              SD- 22.09

Hopefully that helps.
              Thanks Variable, it really does!

BTW, here's what my 5.56 pistol looks like...

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

I'm building a 12.5" Grendel now. I'm going the sbr route, if your going to sbr it I'd do 12.5. If you never plan to than I'd do 10.5 since you can't use the sig brace like a stock anymore. Unless that rule changed again.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by danm View Post
                  I have an SAA Dragons Head muzzle device on my pistol (and Grendel), they call it a break but it's really a linear compensator as everything is ported downrange... Still a bit louder than my 16" 5.56 upper though
                  My Kaw Valley Precision is similar and also have a Kak Industry Flash Can I want to try. Short barrels do allow more powder to make noise versus increasing bullet velocity.

Comment

• m796rider
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2011

I went with 11.5. Currently working through an issue with Grendel steel cased, but otherwise it's a fantastically fun rifle to shoot.

Comment

• Grendel
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

It my mind to stay away from fees and paper work 10.5" pistol and a 18" Rifle. If I could only have one it would be a rifle 14.5" w/pinned hider to make it legal. At 12.5" you might as well go 14.5" pinned with a stock, its only two inches!

Comment

• Grendel
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

It my mind to stay away from fees and paper work 10.5" pistol and a 18" Rifle. If I could only have one it would be a rifle 14.5" w/pinned hider to make it legal. At 12.5" you might as well go 14.5" pinned with a stock, its only two inches!

Comment

• Grendel
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

I'm going with a 10.5" soon. 12.5" is too close to 14.5" for me to justify a pistol build. 14.5" pinned and you get a stock no extra legal cost or paper work.

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Grendel View Post
                            I'm going with a 10.5" soon. 12.5" is too close to 14.5" for me to justify a pistol build. 14.5" pinned and you get a stock no extra legal cost or paper work.
                            Yeah I think I'll do a 10.5

Comment

• wraith1516
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

What is the absolute shortest you can go on the barrel and
                              still have it function properly? Wanted a 6"ish barrel with a 6 "suppressor all under a12 "handguard , was also thinking of making it an sbr.
                              Last edited by wraith1516; 05-15-2015, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X