X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Do you have any data from your load work up? I was seeing max pressure signs at 30.3grs, in my rifle with a 2.275" COL.

Do you have a good STDEV with that load?
    Last edited by cory; 05-12-2015, 07:57 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
      Warrior
      • May 2011

looking at my notes...OAL of 2.265.
      STD dev of 15.
      but that was awhile ago and i didn't keep any of the raw data.

Comment

• PA_Allen
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

100 TTSX with 30gr of 8208 or H335

20" barrel - 2775-2800 fps

16" barrel - 2700 - 2715 fps

Work up to 30 grains. Lots of people seem happy with this load and it has accounted for a lot of wild game.
        Best,
        PA

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Hodgdon's shows 30.8gr Compressed at 47,600psi for 8208XBR under a 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, which is of course a soft cup and core pill, not a monolithic solid.

For the 120gr TSX, they show 28.0gr Compressed at 50,000psi.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lamrith
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

So question since it has come up in this discussion. I have never reloaded a round with a compressed load. Can you pro's share some of the do/dont's, tricks, tips you have for reloading a compressed load round?
            Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
            18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
            SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
            16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
            Anderson Pistol lower:
            16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
            6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
              So question since it has come up in this discussion. I have never reloaded a round with a compressed load. Can you pro's share some of the do/dont's, tricks, tips you have for reloading a compressed load round?
              Now that we have the basics down, we regularly revisit each aspect of our reloading practices and ask how we can improve them. In this article we will discuss compressed loads, their impact on bull…

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Here's some more recent results from an OCW test today with 8208 xbr 16" Precision Firearms Bartlein Barrel.
                100 yards 81F 25% Humidity
                Charge Velocity STDEV # Samples
                29.6 2667.0 5.2 3
                29.8 2696.3 11 3
                30.0 2731.3 15 3

These were far more susceptible to the wind today than any of my 120gr+ loads. You can see some movement back to center as the velocities went up.

This is another reason I leaned towards the 113gr LRX in BluntForceTrauma's Ideal Bullet thread. A little more mass and BC would go along way. The 120gr and 127gr is to much, but I think 113gr would be perfect. However, this is a topic for another thread.
                The original thread is now 30 pages of GOOD discussion but is now long enough. Let's continue it here. As a teaser, here's a little photo of a H2LX (High BC, High velocity, Low eXpansion threshold) prototype (on left, next to earlier prototype) that is fresh from Sneaky's Magic Machine. ;) Reaming out the nose cavity or

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

I presume your POA was the 1" round dot with the labelled powder weight for each of the groups and not the same larger 3 circle for all of the groups. Otherwise that would be a huge POI shift - in the wrong direction - for a small change in velocity for each of the powder weights.
                  My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                    I presume your POA was the 1" round dot with the labelled powder weight for each of the groups and not the same larger 3 circle for all of the groups. Otherwise that would be a huge POI shift - in the wrong direction - for a small change in velocity for each of the powder weights.
                    Yea I probably should have pointed that out. I used the same target I used for the ladder test.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Good work , Cory. The all copper= lead free units are a pain to conquer-- yet I have the way.

Comment

• thedudeabides
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2016

I've ran some with VihtaVouri N135, 28.2 gr - 2.25 col - tulammoa SRM primers, hornady brass
                        Good accuracy and 3 deer down with perfect quarter size exits and terrible internal destruction. All 3 shot 25-50 yds.

18" .264 BHW 1:9 , only saw 1 chrono of it @ 2847, which I assume too good to be true.... But after after seeing toolsofthetrade posted speeds w a BHW poly rifled... Who knows ...

6.5 GRENDEL LOADS.pdf
                        18" .264 LBC BHW fluted barrel

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Good info. I'll be following this one. Thanks guys.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by thedudeabides View Post
                            I've ran some with VihtaVouri N135, 28.2 gr - 2.25 col - tulammoa SRM primers, hornady brass
                            Good accuracy and 3 deer down with perfect quarter size exits and terrible internal destruction. All 3 shot 25-50 yds.

18" .264 BHW 1:9 , only saw 1 chrono of it @ 2847, which I assume too good to be true.... But after after seeing toolsofthetrade posted speeds w a BHW poly rifled... Who knows ...

[ATTACH]7502[/ATTACH]
                            That seems really fast to me. I just references the reloading handbooks and don't see anything that fast for the 100gr TTSX, and the only data I can find with N135 is Vihtavuori's for the 123gr Scenar and higher pills.

We'll have to look at this some more. It might be an optimal powder for that bullet, but just needs some pressure testing.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                            X