• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COTNTOP
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Handguard

Which handguard would be rated the best? Looking for barrelnut that does not have to be timed with gastube, weight and needs to have upgrades like m-lock. THANKS
  • din
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

Best for what? This is also a really subjective question, there isn't going to be much of a consensus.

Comment

• tackdriver
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

I really like my Diamondhead VRS

Comment

• COTNTOP
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Thanks for info tackdriver, never heard of Diamondhead before. Got a Geisselle, just looking for different options.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

I believe the Fortis Switch Rail in .556 doesn't need timed
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• cst
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

SLR rifleworks...new gen rails are great!

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

BCM KMR love mine!

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Willison combat makes one also.

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Everyone has their favorites for personal reasons. Some maybe because it's the only one they've ever had. They did their homework and are happy with it. Others because they like particular features, or brand reputation, or it looks good. My point is be careful of advice with no justification.

Keylock is just as good as M-Lock (Magpul-Lock) in my opinion. I like the big manufacturer Magpul but am cynical about a company suggesting their proprietary design is better than an industry standard. They have some handguard manufacturers on board but I think it is just a clever marketing coup. If you like it, fine, but it will limit your choices.

Need more information here. Are you looking for form or function? What price range? Is your sling needing QD holes and where on the rail do you prefer to attach? Do you want minimalistic with Picatinny on top only or something like the SLR Solo with a quad section at the front and slimline behind it? Does it need to enclose a suppressor? How light; carbon fibre?

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

Magpul is a free license to use there design. So it's up to the manufacturer to decide what they want to use.
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                      Magpul is a free license to use there design. So it's up to the manufacturer to decide what they want to use.
                      Regardless, Magpul's sales benefit from people using their accessory rails. Either on their handguards or other manufacturers who run with the idea. Plus their brand equity benefits from encouraging an industry standard with their name.

Would not be surprised if Magpul incentivises manufacturers to use it.
                      Last edited by Klem; 05-10-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• Christopher67
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
                        Which handguard would be rated the best? Looking for barrelnut that does not have to be timed with gastube, weight and needs to have upgrades like m-lock. THANKS

I've been debating between these 2 myself.

SLR Rifleworks, AR15, AK47, 9mm, Gas Blocks, Hand Guard, AR10, GLOCK, 9mm

The ALG Ergonomic Modular Rail (EMR) V2 M-LOK is hard to beat for the money.

Comment

• Nick
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

I don't have experience with either but comparing the two the ALG at that price is hard to beat. I'm looking for a rail myself and was close to pulling the trigger on a midwest but thinking I may reconsider for an ALG.

Comment

• jurassic
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

I have several of the ALG hand guards, including the m-lok version. They are solid and well made for the money. The barrel nut system is really nice, a wrench and shims is included with the handguard. With that said, only the smallest of gas blocks fit, so I just use the Geissele Super gas blocks.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2013

I have a extended length Nordic that is composite. I believe they make JP Rifles HG's. For the money they are a great deal and is very nice quality. I paid about $100 for mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X