• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruger
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2015

oal determination 24" over watch AA

Hey guys, a quick question here, I have an AA Grendel 24" over watch, and wanted to try the Hornady 123 Amax bullet, so I first used Rasp's method (split case) and an average of 10 readings got me 2.240", next I got a Hornady oal gauge and an average of 9 readings got me 2.240", also average reading of comparator gauge got me 1.663". My question is if I back off .020" that gives me an oal of 2.220", is this unheard of for a 123 Amax? The Grendel handbook shows most of you guys use 2.250"
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I've got a Grendel that measures almost exactly that. It's a Precision Firearms Build from I bought directly from them in 2012. It's a short chamber, I could have sent it back to Mark and I'm sure he would have fixed it without question. However, this thing shoots bug holes, it out shoots me all day every day. I reload and don't rely on factory loads for it, so I'd just assume let it be. I did some testing with factory Hornady and found that I could seat the bullet back a bit and it shot exceptionally well too, with safe velocities.

If you don't reload, you'll need to send it back to AA, where if previous samples are an indicator Bill A will fix it no problem. If you reload you have a choice to make. You can send it to be reamed again or you can load to that chamber.

Here's my data.
    Attached Files
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• ruger
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2015

Thanks cory for the reply, you have numbers that are like mine, I do reload and load several different bullets for the Grendel, from 90 TNT oal 2.220 for it and also the 100 grain speer same length, the 123 scenar load good at 2.260", just thought I would do a reality check for comparison. By the way this 24" over watch shoots a lot better than me

Comment

• rg1
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2014

My factory Hornady 123 Amax overall length is 2.245" plus or minus a couple thousandths. Just for info.

Comment

Working...
        X