• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Two Hogs for Two Hunters

The Hessian (my neighbor) and I decided to sit for pair of hogs that showed up the previous night. They hung around for a while and so we figured they might be back. Given the direction of the wind, our only hunting spot was a 14 ft tree stand. Around 12:30 am, after watching numerous raccoon battles, the two boars finally showed up.

We had a plan as to when to shoot, but I did not count on my sight picture being ruined by the recoil of the Hessian's .308 - we were both rested on the same rail. DON'T DO THAT! We both fired and the Hessian's hog went down and I nearly managed to shoot his hog a 2nd time. My hog ran off.

We waited about 5 minutes, watched the video of the shots, got the recorder back on the rifle, were chatting about what happened, and giving the hogs time to be fully dead when I hear 'tromp tromp tromp tromp' somewhere low and in front of the stand. I do a quick thermal scan with my spotting scope and it is the other hog!

I tell the Hessian and we hurriedly get our scopes back on and try to find this hog that has fully crossed from Right to Left and is now walking away. I popped it as he was quartered away and he squealed and dropped. Then I finally got the recorder on as he shuffled. When he didn't still, I put a shot in the base of his ear.

The Hessian's hog was hit low on the shoulder and dropped DRT. My first shot on the returned hog was about 3" behind the shoulder, and despite being quartered away, exited only slightly forward on the opposite side and only slightly lower down. The shot to the base of the ear did not exit.

The hogs got donated to a disabled vet that lives a few miles up the road. I got a chance to meet him for the first time and he assured me that he could find homes for more hogs, which I thought was terrific since I would rather not have them go to waste.

If you look closely at the spotted hog, he as a big S on his head.

All in all, a good night, but as is the norm, nothing went exactly accordingly to plans, LOL.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 05-12-2015, 09:55 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Glad it worked out! What happened to the ping, you put a different muzzle device on your Grendel?
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Always love those videos. Do you have a quick method of uploading your videos to YouTube?

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
        Glad it worked out! What happened to the ping, you put a different muzzle device on your Grendel?
        I think the Hessian shot the first hog with the AR10 and 00spy shot the second one, but not in video mode on the second hog....

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Die!!! KAP (kill a pig)

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Sorry about the missing ping. It is there, but hidden in the music. The pinger may need some cleaning.

Yes, the Hessian dropped the first hog with the .308 and I just plain missed when the stand's rail on which I was rested moved with the recoil. The hog came back and I managed to shoot it, but it wasn't dying quickly enough. If a hog kicks more than about 30 seconds, I like to shoot it again to make sure it is not actually still alive. This hog looked like it was trying to get up, so a shot to the head finished it.

One of the bad things about trying to record hunts is that if something happens and you aren't ready, you have to balance between taking the shot and not getting it on video or letting the animal escape. Since these are hogs that we are trying to get rid of, then getting the kill is more important than getting the video.

Quick method for uploading to Youtube? I just drag the edited video to the Youtube upload box and Youtube does the rest. With that said, it takes anywhere from 1-3 hours for me to get a video to the format I want to upload (downloading from cameras, putting into Movie Maker, editing, watching and rewatching to try to get a reasonable story and flow, more edits, and then sometimes selection and adding of music).

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

Quick method for uploading to Youtube? I just drag the edited video to the Youtube upload box and Youtube does the rest. With that said, it takes anywhere from 1-3 hours for me to get a video to the format I want to upload (downloading from cameras, putting into Movie Maker, editing, watching and rewatching to try to get a reasonable story and flow, more edits, and then sometimes selection and adding of music).
              all that effort really pays off and is Hoarde appreciated, 00Spy. you crank out some first rate multi-layered vids. many many thanks.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

I've always noticed the ping. But what actually causes it???

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  Sorry about the missing ping. It is there, but hidden in the music. The pinger may need some cleaning.

Yes, the Hessian dropped the first hog with the .308 and I just plain missed when the stand's rail on which I was rested moved with the recoil. The hog came back and I managed to shoot it, but it wasn't dying quickly enough. If a hog kicks more than about 30 seconds, I like to shoot it again to make sure it is not actually still alive. This hog looked like it was trying to get up, so a shot to the head finished it.

One of the bad things about trying to record hunts is that if something happens and you aren't ready, you have to balance between taking the shot and not getting it on video or letting the animal escape. Since these are hogs that we are trying to get rid of, then getting the kill is more important than getting the video.

I love the videos Anne I can imagine how time consuming they are. I appreciate your work, I just love the ping. Keep up the good work.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                    I've always noticed the ping. But what actually causes it???
                    AAC 300 Blackout 3 prong (old style) flash hider. The prongs are like tuning forks. They vibrate/ring after firing or if you just thump them with your finger. It is both cool and annoying. :-)

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

I think it's cool as heck. At least when you hear it you know you've had an opportunity to remove a pig or predator from the property...

Comment

Working...
                      X