X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I had some early production "SGW" Olympic Arms lower receivers that were not machined to spec back in the early 1980's that caused selector lever issues. I still think your selector lever could be the culprit in your case. What manufacturer made your lower?

Comment

• badmoon692008
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

It's a PF lower and parts kit... I might be able to borrow a selector from a buddy at work and try swapping it to see what happens

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Your selector lever set groove seems to be machined a bit too short, which is a hair short of allowing your trigger to clear the selector. When you push the selector lever far enough to clear the trigger your pushing the detent past the machined groove in the selector lever which would be difficult to do. I would try and find another selector lever or send the one you have back for a replacement. If your new selector lever has the same results as your original one then your lower receiver selector detent pin and spring tunnel is probably machined out of spec and I would try and have the place you purchased it from replace the lower. Good Luck!

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Any chance you put the safety detent pin in backwards? The flat side goes against the spring and the pointy end goes in first towards the safety selector.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• badmoon692008
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cory View Post
            Any chance you put the safety detent pin in backwards? The flat side goes against the spring and the pointy end goes in first towards the safety selector.
            Nope, had it in pointy end first

Comment

• badmoon692008
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by montana View Post
              Your selector lever set groove seems to be machined a bit too short, which is a hair short of allowing your trigger to clear the selector. When you push the selector lever far enough to clear the trigger your pushing the detent past the machined groove in the selector lever which would be difficult to do. I would try and find another selector lever or send the one you have back for a replacement. If your new selector lever has the same results as your original one then your lower receiver selector detent pin and spring tunnel is probably machined out of spec and I would try and have the place you purchased it from replace the lower. Good Luck!
              That's what I'm thinking as well... I'll see if I can scrounge up a different one to try

Comment

• badmoon692008
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

So I might just be overthinking everything now, but does it look like the hole for the detent is a little off center to anyone else?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by badmoon692008; 05-13-2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I've got a safety from a PF LPK that I didn't use, if you want to try it let me know. Oshkosh.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
                    So I might just be overthinking everything now, but does it look like the hole for the detent is a little off center to anyone else?
                    The selector doesn't point straight up, but a little forward even when on fire. The trigger will fire if I force the selector to point straight up. Could the detents be slightly off from where there should be? Has anyone had this problem before? Am I missing something super obvious?
                    That's your problem. Was this an 80% lower? You can fix it by relieving the selector detent track on the shaft of the selector so that it will point straight up. The mechanical problem you are having is that the flat surface of the selector shaft isn't oriented perfectly flat when on fire, so the trigger trough tail is not able to raise enough to allow the trigger nose to clear the hammer notch.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• badmoon692008
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      That's your problem. Was this an 80% lower? You can fix it by relieving the selector detent track on the shaft of the selector so that it will point straight up. The mechanical problem you are having is that the flat surface of the selector shaft isn't oriented perfectly flat when on fire, so the trigger trough tail is not able to raise enough to allow the trigger nose to clear the hammer notch.
                      Nope, this was a stripped lower and matched upper from PF

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Let Mark know. He'll take care of you.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• badmoon692008
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                          I've got a safety from a PF LPK that I didn't use, if you want to try it let me know. Oshkosh.
                          I appreciate the offer... After looking at my selector the detent and the indicator seem to line up fine, so I'm thinking something else is the issue... I'll keep it in mind if I end up needing one... thanks.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

Call me to discuss. 240-217-6875

Mark Hostetter
                            Precision Firearms
                            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Laserjock
                              Unwashed
                              • Apr 2015

I'd try a different selector as suggested. The groove or detent stop might not be in spec. Is the flat section flat? Check for casting marks there and in the groove and detent stop.

The other remote possibility is the Geissele trigger tail is too tall and is causing the interference. Read the last reply from the OP.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Comment

• badmoon692008
                                Bloodstained
                                • Mar 2015

I took a file to the safety selector flat and removed less than a thousandth of material and now it works fine. I'm guessing something was just a fuzz off.. It could very well have been the trigger tail. Thanks for standing behind your product Mark, can't wait to get it out this weekend and see how it shoots!

Comment

Working...
                                X