ATN X Sight 3-12 vs 5-18 quick comparison.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

ATN X Sight 3-12 vs 5-18 quick comparison.

Just received the 3-12, because I felt the 5-18 had too tight of a FOV. I found out that the 3-12 is 10 oz lighter from another forum. I was suprised when I opened the 3-12 the objective lens is barely 1" in diameter. The 5-18 is slightly over 2.25" in diameter. The 3-12 has approx .80 square inches to gather light. The 5-18 has approx 4square inches of light gathering ability. I guess I'll be going out tonight to see how much difference there is in them. On the 3-12 focus ring is less than 1/2 a turn from near to far. The 5-18 focus ring turns almost 3 full turns from near to far. I did notice on the 5-18 that it was only necessary to turn less than 1/2 turn to go from 30 yds to approx 150 yds.

I'm hoping there isn't much difference in the brightness of the 3-12 vs 5-18....
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

It'sen dark for an hour and a half now CC. Whats the verdict?

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Rough day, we cut down and hauled 7 trees. Going to load some batteries now.

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Just finished checking outside with both scopes. I can only check a distance of about 30 yds, because my back yard is fenced. The 3-12 is running firmware .253, and the 5-18 is running .248. The 5-18 version .248, has an auto dimming feature in the firmware, and would not get any brighter than the lowest setting on the built in illuminator. It would brighten for a split second then the display would dim, on both medium and high on the illuminator. I could easily make out the nails in the fence on 5X, and see blades of grass at 30 yds.

The 3-12 with firmware .253 is not auto dimming. I could see a lawn chair and 5 gallon bucket at least 150 yds away under a security light. I could also make out the nail heads and blades of grass in my yard with the built in IR illuminator at 30 yds on the lowest setting. If I went to medium or high on the illuminator, it got much brighter. I don't think the lens size is going to be a limiting factor, but I'll hold off on that judgement until the T50 illuminator comes in and I can check them both out in a field. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

I sent the 5-18X back on Monday. But the slow boat from China arrived today with the T50 illuminator off flea-bay. I just took the 3-12X scope and the new T50 illuminator out in the back yard. Trees that are about 150 yds away looked like they were being lit up with a spotlight. I could easily zoom the spot on the illuminator inside the FOV on the tree tops on 3X. At 30yds the scope was auto dimming even on the lowest setting, and the beam adjusted to flood on the T50. Right now I think it is easily a 200yd+ system. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow, in the field, on the rifle, instead of try to hold everything by hand and adjust.

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I got an RMA from Optics Planet today for the 3X12. I will be sending it back. Auto-dimming is a major problem with this scope if there is any reflected light from an over hanging limb or bushes, tall grass, etc, between you and your intended target at night. If you hunt in an open field where there aren't obstructions that will reflect the IR light back at you then this may be an option for you. There are a lot of other "bugs" in the firmware that are being addressed as well, but may take some time. This product was rushed to market, and is still not ready for market, but that is just my personal opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X