Black cerakote or Black Nitrided Barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brandon41582
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

Black cerakote or Black Nitrided Barrel?

• burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

I would recommend the black nitride since it is hardens the surface of the steel both inside and outside of the barrel. It theory this will give your barrel longer life before accuracy starts to run out. I believe it also makes cleaning a little easier. You can ask Mark to bead blast the barrel before nitriding so it turns out with a matte black look. It will be a glossy finish if it is not bead blasted.

Cerakote is a great finish but it would only be for outside of the barrel.

For what it's worth, I chose to nitride by barrel over cerakote. Hope that helps!

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Nitritde hands down!

Cheaper
      More Durable
      Extends the life of your barrel
      Makes cleaning your barrel easier.

I also thank it looks and feels much better
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• brandon41582
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2014

Hey thanks for your help I appreciate the info and recommendations!!!! I believe I am going to go with nitride. I was just kinda unsure about it due to lack of knowledge for one thing and didn't want it to affect any accuracy for hunting.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Damn, is this Brandon, from the in hospital ,, tee shirt kid Wyatt, ? I don't think it is. If it's all diff., help us all out from the past , as to connect to Wyatt's gang .

Otherwise, yes, go with the nitride bbl coatings. Awesome performance!

Comment

• brandon41582
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2014

Thanks!!! I went ahead and sent a reply email to Mark yesterday afternoon to change my order. Now the horrible waiting game. Ive got a long wait probably.

Comment

• Keep The Change
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

I have a 24" Brux stainless barrel, I'm assuming that it would benefit from nitriding as well since it is a surface hardening and treatment.
              Does anybody know of a company that does this in DFW? It be real nice to get this done locally
              If not where should I send it off too?
              Regards,
              JP

Comment

• DrifterAT
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

Interesting that PF doesn't show a nitrate barrel as an option for the Neptune Type VIII or the Type II (that I ordered). Nitrate only comes in black, correct? I went with the stainless cerakote but may call and change to a nitrate barrel since I will probably cerakote the hand guard.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
                  I have a 24" Brux stainless barrel, I'm assuming that it would benefit from nitriding as well since it is a surface hardening and treatment.
                  Does anybody know of a company that does this in DFW? It be real nice to get this done locally
                  If not where should I send it off too?
                  Regards,
                  JP
                  Nitride is not something that can be applied in your garage like cerakote. PF sends these off to be Nitrided in large batches at an industrial facility. PF also sand blasts them, which is done in house, before sending them off. Otherwise they'll come back with a glossy finish.

I'd suggest contacting Precision Firearms. They'd probably take care of you.

DrifterAT, that was probably just an oversight on the web keeper's part.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Keep The Change
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2013

Cory, yes it is quite a project to nitride a barrel. Anything that hardens the steel is not something that can be done easily. There are a ton of finish and treatment places in DFW and I was just curious if anybody knew of any in the area that does nitriding.

I did have the barrel bead blasted by Brux when I bought the barrel though, except for gas port location. But Yeah PF is a good place to call. I like the way they have treated fellow grendelers.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

If your not in a hurry I'm sure there is room when the sbr barrels get sent out
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• brandon41582
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2014

Well I finally got my upper in and wow it is bada$$!!!! The nitride finish was definitely the way to go. I haven't got to shoot it yet but hopefully next week I will get to complete the dreaded breakin procedure then shoot some groups at 100 & 200yrds:-)

Comment

• Keep The Change
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2013

I sent my barrel to Mark at Precision Firearms a month back to get nitride with his next batch of barrels. I got it back a couple of weeks ago and it looks great. Great looks with longer barrel life....it's a win win. It looks really nice, especially with a PF LMD brake on the end.

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

It didn't happen with out pics lol
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Keep The Change
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2013

You will get pics when it is all complete. Lower is done, need to build the upper. Waiting on Gas Tube from White Oak Armory and I'll start assembling the upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X