• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Sniper Magazine

A lot of us who have been around reading gun rags since the 1970's or earlier have come to the conclusion that most of the current periodicals belong next to the TP in the home products section of the grocery store.

Sniper Magazine is not one of them. If you haven't seen it yet, it's all meat and potatoes, with several servings of dessert with every issue. With regular contributors like Tom Beckstrand and Todd Hodnett, you know you're getting quality information and not shameless ads written by novices who cut and paste the same template for every new rifle or piece of gear they've been given to write a review and take pics.

In Sniper Magazine, you get no-BS, been there, done that authors who have dedicated the better part of their lives in a professional capacity to long-range shooting, most of them military snipers, and most of those from the special operations community.

In the latest issue, there are excellent articles on Pre Ignition Vibration in the AR15, how to deal with it from an equipment and technique standpoint, as well as an evaluation of the fire control parts that had the least PIV in the AR15.

Not surprisingly, the Alexander Arms AR15 FCG had the least PIV, followed by Geissele and Hyper-Fire. They also showed that the JP reduced power hammer spring significantly limited PIV, but acknowledged that hard primers might not always get activated.

This latest issue also has one of the best articles I've seen in years on rifle scopes, how they're built, optical elements, light bending engineering, optimal objective diameters, and things to consider you might never have heard of.

Anyway, this is one of the few rags that is worth more than the $8.99 sticker price.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I also welcome the fact that it is available digitally, here:

There, you can get the 2012 and 2013 back issues, as well.

As far as this issue's article on PIV goes, it describes very well what I've discovered over time with my AR's, and the means by which to mitigate it. Glad to see it quantified in print.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-17-2015, 01:43 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Thanks for the info. Im always eager to learn, but im glad I picked up a hyperfire trigger.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

So, I take it from the photos that one of the 29 essential traits of a sniper is to have long, unkempt hair and a beard...

Comment

• pds
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

I heard somewhere that you didn't really pay sticker price for your copy..

pds

Comment

• davidj
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Unkempt beard?? Looks like the guy just came from the hairdresser.
            Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
              Unkempt beard??
              I said the hair is long and unkempt. All I said about the beard is that he has one.

I'm just a bit surprised that the magazine editors would want someone with such scraggly hair on the cover. Doesn't convey a sense of professionalism, IMO.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

AHAHAAHAAA...

Exactly what I was thinking.

'52' Please forgive me...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Most of the authors are retired career SF snipers who internalized the skill set, not just school attendees who checked the block. The content is a cut above any other gun rag in print. If I thought it was a joke, I would have posted it on another forum in a non-technical discussion section. My intent was to let forum members know that this is one of the few periodicals that is a genuine source of useful information.

The fluff piece wannabe gun rags already fill the shelves at many stores in the US and Europe.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Most of the authors are retired career SF snipers who internalized the skill set, not just school attendees who checked the block. The content is a cut above any other gun rag in print. If I thought it was a joke, I would have posted it on another forum in a non-technical discussion section. My intent was to let forum members know that this is one of the few periodicals that is a genuine source of useful information.

The fluff piece wannabe gun rags already fill the shelves at many stores in the US and Europe.

You have to admit those front covers are begging for it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

At least they aren't fudds in Chidura pretending to be trigger-pullers.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X