• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

1000yd Milk Jug with Target Cam

Last month I was able to participate in a long range challenge hosted by a group I'm part of. You have 10 rounds to hit a milk jug at 1000 yards, any caliber goes. I wasn't shooting as consistent as I would have liked, I'll chalk it up to being a little on the nervous side (for really no reason), but I was able to make contact on the 4th shot. I'm also pretty sure this was the first time it's been done in their group with an AR15, although they have had a couple with AR10's.

Enjoy!

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Congratulations, very cool thanks for posting.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Good Work! The gentlemen interviewing you seems impressed with that little gren-Dell cartridge
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Thats awesome!!

I would love to know how many of those "other" guys thought you would never do that, lol.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

Thanks guys! It was a blast to get up there and shoot with all those guys. I'm pretty sure the Grendel was the smallest cartridge there! They had up to a 338 Lapua, but most were shooting various .30 cals (.308, 300 Win Mag etc) and .264 (6.5 Creed, 260 Rem). I have to admit though, my favorite two videos were of an 11 year old girl shooting a 260Rem and a 14 year old girl shooting a .243 that both got it on their FIRST SHOT! Hitting the dang thing in the 10 allotted rounds is a bit of a challenge, but doing it cold-bore is downright impressive!

I'm pretty sure there were a few converts to the Grendel made that day. I've been trying to be pretty vocal about this awesome little round to that group!

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

All three of those feats are truly impressive!
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• wheelguner
                Warrior
                • Oct 2011

Outstanding! Those that haven't shot at that distance with a relativly light rifle have no idea just how much the SLIGHTEST movement or pressure can move the point of impact.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2014

It's been amazing to me! I shoot left handed, and it makes the heartbeat artifact very noticeable. Im still trying to learn it

Comment

• lrgrendel
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Congrats! A lot of people don't know what the Grendel is capable of.

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

That is awesome!

Sho em how its done with the AR-15 in 6.5G.
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Jakal
                        Warrior
                        • May 2014

Congrats again! Awesome shooting.
                        ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Thanks for posting. What range is that? You should be able to get 2650fps with hand loads using CFE and 123gr. Was that factory or hand loads?

It would be fun to take the 16" or 18" Lightweight carbine out to for the milk jug. The 16" surprised me at 1200yds. Made me realize I need a 20 MOA base for it to realize its true potential.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PredatorDown
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2014

It's the Three Mile Creek range in Perry, Utah. They had just put in the 1000 yard berm a couple of weeks before the shoot. I think they actually let us in a week before it opened for the season.

You would turn a LOT of heads doing it with a 16" carbine. I would LOVE to see the look on their faces to see that! Doing it at 1200 would be even better! They have 1000, 1200, 1500, 1760, and 2000 yard challenges. 1200 is the furthest completed to date, and to my knowledge it's never even been tried with a gas gun.

I didn't get very good results in mine when I upped the charges with CFE. It seems like the harder I pushed it, the worse it shot. I settled on a pretty tame load of 30gr of BL-C(2), but it's shot great for me. I've never been too comfortable pushing loads to the max, mainly because of my own personal lack of experience. I wouldn't doubt I could hit another accuracy node before I hit my max, I just haven't done it. I've also got ~26#s of BL-C(2), versus about 1/2# of CFE, so I'll be using that powder through a couple of barrels I'm sure

Comment

• newb
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2015

Congrats!

If they had a milk jug as big as a Buick I'd be stoked if I could hit it at that distance.....

Comment

Working...
                              X