• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendel
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Short Barrel Group Buy

Hi Guys, I've been working with Underground Tactical Arms on a group buy for short Grendel barrels.

This is what it looks like so far:
    Qty. 10 Barrel Minimum
    10.5" Barrel w/Grendel II Chamber
    Stainless 416R
    5/8x24
    3 land polygonal rifling
    1-8 twist or 1-9 twist

Cost will be $195 per barrel
    Barrel w/Bolt will be $255

Let me know what you guys think and we will see what configuration is most desirable and I will work it out with them.

You can Email me at
    markforest@live.com
  • burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

Why the Grendel II Chamber? I thought Underground Tactical made Grendel SAAMI chambers...

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

First off you should know that you won't find much love here for the Satern Chamber. (Side note, I'm done referring to it as a Grendel II chamber from now on I'll refer to it as the Satern Chamber.)

2nd you'll need a 1:7.5 twist with the cut stainless barrel.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

These are BHW blanks right?
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Grendel
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by cory View Post
          First off you should know that you won't find much love here for the Satern Chamber. (Side note, I'm done referring to it as a Grendel II chamber from now on I'll refer to it as the Satern Chamber.)

2nd you'll need a 1:7.5 twist with the cut stainless barrel.
          They are telling me the G2/Saturn Chamber is fine, I'm aware of the turmoil, but not sure of all the real factors.
          They are also saying the 1:8 is good to go, again I'm just the messenger.

Comment

• Grendel
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
            These are BHW blanks right?
            Yes they are BHW blanks. Good or Bad?

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

If you look through the Lilja SBR Group Buy thread(s), there's some quotes straight from Bill A. on barrel twist for the Grendel and other good discussion. It'd be worth your time to read through them.

You won't see any complaints on BHW blanks. I've seen some BHW barrels that were real shooters.

I'm sure the Satern Chamber is "fine" in actuality. The problem is that these "reputable" companies don't have enough data to back that up. There's also the other BS they push about higher velocities and other hogwash.

Not trying to bash your GB man. I really hope you succeed. I will say you'd have a lot better luck with a SAAMI Spec Chamber. If you have it done with a reamer turned to the max SAAMI tolerances you'll be able to load just about any bullet available in 6.5mm, beyond mag length.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Grendel View Post
                Yes they are BHW blanks. Good or Bad?
                Never owned a BHW blank, but and I have seen nothing but glowing reports about them. Just something to keep in mind. One of the members had a BHW barrel done and he's having trouble shooting steel case. If that's not your cup of tea then don't worry.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                  Never owned a BHW blank, but and I have seen nothing but glowing reports about them. Just something to keep in mind. One of the members had a BHW barrel done and he's having trouble shooting steel case. If that's not your cup of tea then don't worry.
                  That was because it was a. 264 lbc reamed chamber. This won't be an issue with this since they are using a grendel 2 chamber which essentially removes the compound throat all together. The 264 lbc doesn't have the compound throat but the neck is 5 tenth of an inch narrower which caused the issue with the lacquered coatings on the street case.
                  Last edited by Kikn; 05-21-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

.264 LBC-AR does not have a compound throat. It has a conventional target leade of 1.5 degrees, and a tighter neck.

Several shops think they are getting a .264 LBC reamer, when it is really some variation of the QC and no established spec for that reamer once you drop the Les Baer spec'd LBC-AR.

The "Grendel II" was a knee-jerk response to shops that were getting lazy with reamer maintenance, since as the reamers wear, the throat gets shorter. By eliminating the compound throat and blowing a conventional throat way out, the idea is that you can run reamers ragged, and advertise it as allowing reloaders to load long projectiles farther out than the AR15 magazine well will hold, let alone the magazine.

All of those features are bad, and offer no advantages to the shooter, while letting the shop who is reaming get longer tool time. That is the only advantage I see, which isn't an advantage at all for the customer.

SAAMI reamers are hard to get because of lead times from shops that will actually get the dimensions right, so this is where manufacturers get frustrated, and that is understandable, especially as demand grows.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tooreal
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2010

BHW Barrels and faster moving Bullets

Hello Everyone, I sure have missed this place, and it's Nice to be back.

I have owned several Black Hole Weaponry Barrels, and I miss the good old days when you could Buy one for 150 Bucks! I had heard of the Faster Velocity Bullets when shot through their Barrele, and I don't have a Chronograph so other than getting a smaller group I wasn't looking for anything else when reloading for my Grendel or .264 LB-AR.
                      I bought a 300 Blackout Barrel from BHW when they First made a Run of them, after enlarging the Under-drilled Hole in the Barrel my AR would finally cycle correctly. I was loading Supersonic bullets for about 3 Months when I got my suppressor. Then I started loading the Subsonic Bullets, and with all of the Data that friends had given me that worked fine in their AR's mine was Still shooting SuperSonic with my Suppressor, even the Factory Remington Bullets were shooting SuperSonic? After talking to the Man that made my suppressor and then Dropping the Powder Load (1 Grain Less) than the Minimum Recommended amount of Powder called for in the Manuals, I Finally Got to Hear what a Subsonic Round sounded like from my AR with that BHW 3 land Polygonal Barrel!!! It was a Hard and Long Lesson Learned too, and I won't be forgetting that either!! I say that because I also had another 300 AAC Black Out Barrel with 5R Rifling, and if I shot Factory Subsonic AMMO thru that it came out Like a Pop Gun, but If I put the same load In the Polygonal Barrel it was Supersonic with the Suppressor and the Exact same setup as my 5R Barrel.

So Yes, Bullets will Move Faster thru a BHW Barrel than a Traditional Cut or Button Riffled Barrel. But How Much Faster, that I do Not Know? I still don't have a Chronograph, but I Sure Hope someone else will Chime in and let me know...

It Sure is Good to be back.
                      Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X