• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motoxxx_ryder
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

ASC mag feed issues?

So i hve 15 and 25 round ( i think those are the right counts, one looks like a 20rnd ar mag and one looks like a 30).

the larger mags function great no FTFeed issues. The 2 smaller mags have issues feeding the second to last round. It WILL NOT pick up round and only that round unless i hold up on the mag as hard as i can. This happens on both mags so im guessing its not a rifle issue since both other mags function fine and the fact that both happen on the 2nd to last round in the mags only.

Anyone know if theres a fix or if this is common?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My ASC mags which I got from 44mag.com had a sticky substance all over the inside. After I removed the floor plate and completely cleaned the inside of the mag body, spring and follower, I loaded the mags and let them set loaded for several days. I haven't had any trouble with my ASC mags since. I don't whether it was the cleaning or leaving them loaded that made the difference but they work now. The 15 rounders I have will only hold 14 in the mag plus one in the chamber which is why they consider them 15 rounders. General consensus is the 15 round 6.5 Grendel mags are the least reliable of all 6.5 Grendel mags of various capacity.

One other thing which can effect feeding is the ejector which protrudes through the bolt face. It helps if the ejector has a radiused edge as opposed to a sharp edge. I removed my ejector and used some 1000 grit sand paper to break the edge. If you see a brass scrub on the inside top edge of the mag body it might indicate the cartridge is hitting the top front of the mag as it is trying to feed. I have seen where others have modified this area to improve feeding.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-22-2015, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

It's not picking up the round at all so when I pull the trigger its click. The ejector would cause fail to feeds with a 3point jam if I'm not mistaken. I took theag apart and cleaned it. Hopefully it'll help.

Comment

• badmoon692008
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
        It's not picking up the round at all so when I pull the trigger its click. The ejector would cause fail to feeds with a 3point jam if I'm not mistaken. I took theag apart and cleaned it. Hopefully it'll help.
        Does the bolt lock back 100% of the time on an empty mag? I had a problem with not picking up the next round when I was undergassed.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

yea bolt locks back every time. i can shot shots 1-12 fine then on 13 it just goes click. the larger mags run all day long, i cleaned the every loving hell out of the mags internally so im heading back out today to test the load i have at distance and see how much of a POA/POI shift there is with my suppressor so ill let you know.

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

I recently purchased a couple 15 rounders. They work fine in a too tight AA lower and upper, don't work well at all in a Doublestar lower and MUR upper. Guess I'll try the 10 rounders.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

Taking the mags apart and spraying the bodies with brake cleaner made them fit in the powers smoother and no more feed issues.

Thanks for the tip

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

I got 3 ASC mags the other day. Two 15 round and one 5 round. The 5 round functions fine but the two 15 mags only load 14 and won't chamber the first 3 when full, the take a nose dive and hit the bottom of the feed ramps. I ordered the FDE, I cerakoted them today and the stuff they paint them with is nasty. When I soaked them in acetone it pealed in 30 seconds and had black goo under it. I cetakoted them inside out but still won't feed when full even after tweeking the feed lips so guess they are 11 round mags.

Comment

• gpsman007
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

clean em and leave em loaded
                  that will fix em

Comment

• EPeterson
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

My 7 ASC 15rnd(14) mags have all worked flawlessly, except for one that came with a big dent by the feed lips. I looked them over and checked the feed lips with a caliper. I've had mags that wouldn't feed right because the feed lips were out of spec.

Comment

• Predmilitia
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2015

I have a 5 and a 10 rounder that are acting up. I will clean them tomorrow and leave them loaded for a couple days.

Comment

• lead chucker
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I have had C Products mags for a couple years that has always worked fine, also 14 round mags. I compared the feed lips with the ASC and the looked the same. It seems its the follower or spring tension. If it will chamber 11 through 1 fine then 12 through 14 are to tight with tension.

Comment

• Bwild97
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

Remove the spring and follower from the box, remove the spring from the follower, flip the spring on its vertical axis, reinstall the follower, spring and base plate. It is a simple fix that works very well.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

ASC took over CProducts assembly line and equipment, apparently because of some type of business issues, so the mags should look the same. ASC has apparently improved QC, but occasionally a weird one slips through.

Most mag problems are related to feed lip issues, and stainless tends to spring back better than aluminum, but once bent, its harder to get them back, too.

Comment

• lead chucker
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Thanks for the infor guys, Ill try reversing the spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X