• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Got a new side charge upper yesterday

My Gibbz Side Charge Upper came in yesterday and it looks amazing. Very simple idea in getting a non reciprocating left hand charger.

I'd prefer a 7075-T6 upper as a stress engineer but I imagine the critical stresses would be at the upper interface with the barrel extension due from barrel whip. I have to believe stresses are not that great in a standard forged upper and this upper has considerable more meat.

I looked it over and compared it to a Vltor MUR I have and it is a good bit chunkier than even that upper.

I was impressed with the very tight fit between the upper and the barrel extension. I'm talking really nice and tight and flush. I can't say that about the Vltor which initially was going to be my upper for my 24" build, until I felt how much slop was in it when I slipped the barrel onto it. That pushed to purchase a billet.

Do others see this tight barrel fit with other billets?

Anyway, I can say this is a very nice upper.

Does anybody have info on loads seen at the end of barrel or loads transferred back into the receiver from whip?

I can't wait to get it cerakoted and get the barrel on it.
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

I would be interested in knowing how this upper works out for you. Was looking at the Gibbz billet side charge non reciprocating upper but just don't know much about this configuration. Currently running an AA side charge upper now and like this configuration.
    Getting ready to start putting another Grendel together so sourcing parts is in progress. Well, just for an upper and lower. Thinking of doing a matched set this time around. Already know what I will use for the rest of the components.

Comment

• achristian8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Pictures?
      Adam

Comment

• gpsman007
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

I just posted some pics on my gibbz upper on the welcome page
        check the out

Comment

• Blackleaf40
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2015

I have several Spartan side charging uppers that are similar to the Gibbz. I read some where that both are manufactured by the same people, but that has not been verified. I have one on a 300 Blackout pistol, and a re-upperered a bull barrel upper I had purchased, both had a snug, slight interference fit between the barrels and upper. Few taps of a hammer to seat the barrel. The barrel nut threaded on snug too. I really like the idea of the non-reciprocating side chargers. I just pulled the trigger on a few American Spirit Arms side chargers just because they have an ejection door. I thought that would be a good idea for the Grendel I'm building as a hunting rifle. I'd love to hear how the Gibbz works out for you

Comment

• Keep The Change
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by achristian8 View Post
            Pictures?
            I know it's a "faux pas" to talk about getting a new part without posting pics. My apologies. I had just gotten done messing with it and wanted to make a note on the forum about it. I hope the horde can forgive me, for I do not deserve the "warrior" status for this egregious error.

Comment

• Keep The Change
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Blackleaf40 View Post
              I have several Spartan side charging uppers that are similar to the Gibbz. I read some where that both are manufactured by the same people, but that has not been verified. I have one on a 300 Blackout pistol, and a re-upperered a bull barrel upper I had purchased, both had a snug, slight interference fit between the barrels and upper. Few taps of a hammer to seat the barrel. The barrel nut threaded on snug too. I really like the idea of the non-reciprocating side chargers. I just pulled the trigger on a few American Spirit Arms side chargers just because they have an ejection door. I thought that would be a good idea for the Grendel I'm building as a hunting rifle. I'd love to hear how the Gibbz works out for you
              BL40, did you put a lapping tool to the receiver face?
              I'm thinking of trying one out just to see how flat and square it is. I'll have to order a lapping tool, which I think I'm going to lap any other builds I do. I have a Vltor MUR forged upper and this same barrel wobbles around in the vltor like you wouldn't believe. So I want to lap that one at least. While I'm at it can do the Gibbz since I'm about to send the 24" barrel to PF for nitriding.

Comment

• Blackleaf40
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2015

I did not use a lapping tool. I could send you a Spartan upper, and you could check it out. I went a little side-charger crazy, I have 4 Spartans and 2 American Spirit Arms uppers now. Don't drink and click "buy" I just assembled my Grendel tonight, and the Satern barrel I have wobbled in the AMA upper more than I wanted to see. We'll see how it shoots

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
                  I know it's a "faux pas" to talk about getting a new part without posting pics. My apologies. I had just gotten done messing with it and wanted to make a note on the forum about it. I hope the horde can forgive me, for I do not deserve the "warrior" status for this egregious error.
                  Not to worry, ktc. No "fox pass" in omitting pictures. We just won't believe it happened, until you do.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                  X