• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Gas Block & Divots on Barrel

My barrel has one divot directly opposite the gas port. What gas block has one set screw? Thats a rhetorical question because the answer is none.

So I think my options are:
    -make more dimples
    -use a clamp on type.

Barrel is 0.875 at t,Gas port.

• NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

The dimple aligns with one of the two (usually) set screws for alignment purposes. The other set screw is tightened against the barrel. The dimple is a service to you, on the part of the barrel maker.

Very standard practice, among many manufacturers.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• cst
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

One is all u need..u can tighten the second one and then take it off....then dimple the mark with a dremel for the second one....I'm a firm believer that clamping is stronger than set screw short of pinning a block but the clamping ones may have difficulty fitting under some handguards

Comment

• Keep The Change
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Thanks for info NF & CST.
        I ask because i was going to order a Larue block that is long enough to cover the polished area that the barrel maker didnt bead blast. Well Larue website said you will need dimples for the 3 set screws.

So do you think the single will work with the Larue? I dont see why not if one dimple is for alignment. Maybe the Larue means you need one only and it is worded oddly.
        I think i would prefer clamped as well but i havent seen a non adjustable version for .875 and an adjustable one will require that i cut a notch in the HG.

Comment

• Keep The Change
          Warrior
          • Mar 2013

Also the Larue website says it has a .300" spacing. What does that mean?
          This isnt a typical build like my other carbine build where you just order parts and put it together so im having to pay attention to these little detaills

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

KTC,
            I wouldn't worry about dimpling for a particular gas block. All the barrels I've received only had one dimple, got one two weeks ago with no dimple!! Use the one dimple for alignment, then just firm up all set screws. You don't need em over tight just real snug.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
            X