• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

1400 Yards...Time for a 20MOA Mount!

I tried my hand at 1400 yards for the first time today and was pretty surprised/impressed! The Grendel seems to take it to anything I throw it at. I shot a few at 1000 yards, but was mainly wanting to stretch it out as far as I could today. We had set a gong out to 1400 and I was bound and determined to hit it.

I punched the info into iStrelok, and was pretty impressed with the readings it gave. It only put me 5 MOA below target on my first round. It took me several more to get on target, but I was just thrilled to even be able to hit the dang thing!

I wound up at 74 MOA of total drop. I had to max out my elevation and still hold over 27 MOA, but damnit it worked! The wind was surprisingly nice, between 4-7mph and usually blowing straight at us.

Sorry for the bad video. I'll most likely be getting a gopro in the next couple months to get some better target cam shots.

I also wound up having to cut the video short out of convenience to upload. There was one shot in this string before the video starts.

Enjoy!

The two hits on the right are with my Grendel shooting 123gr Amax. The two smaller splashes on the left are with my cousin's 18" AR Stoner Grendel shooting 123 Nosler CC. The bigger splash on the left is from a .260 shooting 123gr Sierra's.

• lead chucker
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

That's cool! Great shooting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I'm switching to at least 20 MOA mounts for all Grendel's from now on. My Lilja 18" has the NF with 20 MOA. I need to get the 16" there too. I've shot the 16" at 1200yds and 1500yds, and impacts were very consistent and predictable, with the ability for me to get on target and watch the splash without a muzzle brake, from a lightweight gun that doesn't hurt at all to shoot.

Very nice shooting.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

curious what your loads are runnign that far out?

how are the amaxes in the transonic range?

Ill probably be saving up for a NF SHV which i think will suit the grendel well and set it in an ADM mount like all my other optics. Definitely going 20MOA

Comment

• PredatorDown
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

My load is pretty tame at 30gr of BL(C)2, 123amax, remington 7 1/2 primers and Lapua brass. Running right around 2500fps.

They seem to be holding their own when they hit transonic. Speed of sound at my elevation is just shy of 1100fps, which is where my bullet is around 1250 yards. I looked at the target to see any signs of tumbling/keyholing but didn't see any. Splash was still centered around the impact.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 20 MOA Aadmount before too long. I'm saving for a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 for my next bolt gun. I'll have the scope before that gun is ready, so it might find it's way onto the Grendel temporarily.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

That looked like fun! Thanks for sharing!
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I have the 20 MOA Aadmount and it is a great mount.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

Awesome shooting. Still looking for a place I can get out over 300. Nearby army base might be opening up a range next year for "public" (many restrictions) use. They have an artillary/tank range, that should suffice.

Comment

• Jakal
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

I'll toss in LaRue's QD LT745. The other model is a QD LT112. I prefer QD's. But for a permanent build the aadmount is hard to beat.

""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

With the tight twist of most 6.5 Grendel barrels, transonic isn't an issue. My 16" has a 1/7.5" twist, and factory Hornady A-MAX averages 2460fps. I can get 2550fps and still be just at 50,000psi with CFE.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                      Awesome shooting. Still looking for a place I can get out over 300. Nearby army base might be opening up a range next year for "public" (many restrictions) use. They have an artillary/tank range, that should suffice.
                      Nellis ( AFB in las vegas) has the same. Restrictions wont be as tight as you think. When you first sign up you will go through a BG check once it comes back you will be put on a list that the MP at the gate can reference. Rules are simple, NO Concealed carry or open carry, all rifles/pistols cased and unloaded. you go from the gate to the range and then backj to the gate when done. Our range is where hte local LR shooting club has its matches so they are very welcoming. they pout up tons of steel to shoot so its a blast.

stolen from my local forum nevadashooters site.

Comment

• danm
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2014

Wow, killer range...

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by danm View Post
                          Wow, killer range...
                          that range is on base and in NE las vegas so its over an hour to get to for me. the matches the put on there are great though. they have a stripped hummer, skeleton houses (houses with just 4 walls a few windows and doors) and connex boxes to work with.

this is the range i shoot at. i think you can get past 2k here. ive been to 1760

from the business end at 1760

from the receiving end.

Comment

Working...
                          X