• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

My new project not Grendel but very close

I am having a Rem700 short action re-barreled to .280/brit. Having found some issue ammo at an auction that we purchased we reolised that it will feed perfectly from a 308 mag and the bolt face is 308. We where on to a winning combination.

After pulling one rnd the projectile is nigh on 140g as it should be. The surprise for me was that it sat on top of just 34.5g of powder.

Dies where off the shelf from RCBS. Just waiting for the reamer to be cut, then re-barrel and finally prof fired.

When complete it will be mounted in this,

IMG00106-20141215-1455.jpg

Now has a Khales 624i 6-24x56 scope and Timney trigger to be added.

So its coming together.
    Last edited by Buck2732; 06-04-2015, 07:38 PM.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Very cool. You found enough brass to support it?

Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Buck2732
      Warrior
      • Feb 2012

The re-forming dies takes bog standard 7.62/.308 and runs it into .280 brit. Cool
      Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Have you thought about putting a 30 degree shoulder on it? That would improve the burn efficiency and accuracy like on the Grendel and Creedmoor, or any other 30 degree case.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Excellent project.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Have you thought about putting a 30 degree shoulder on it? That would improve the burn efficiency and accuracy like on the Grendel and Creedmoor, or any other 30 degree case.
            Nope it never occurred to us, we wanted to keep the cartridge alive. I have found the last guy to be involved with it at the MoD research facility. Who managed to get a copy of he drawings for the chamber (with permission of the MoD) and built (a gunsmith by trade) himself a Ruger No1 with the 280 Cal. It is from him I have the starting loads from. He managed to get 2700-2800 fps with a 120g soft point. That he used on deer.

Given that the dies are off the shelf, and very expensive after import and tax, we are just happy we can get the project running. The reported accuracy from the round in service form was good, the self build was also good. So we live in hope that the two we are building will serve us well.

BFT, I hope this thread is in the right place?
            Last edited by Buck2732; 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM.
            Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Buck2732
              Warrior
              • Feb 2012

280 case.jpg

We have resized our first .308w to .280/30
              Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Neat.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• coastguardchas
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

ever hear of 7-08 rem?

Comment

• Buck2732
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by coastguardchas View Post
                    ever hear of 7-08 rem?
                    I have indeed and its a very fine cartridge. This one has some history, and was a service issue round over here.
                    Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Buck2732
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2012

Well the first time estimate has come and gone. It should've been in my safe by now... Bugger
                      Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• JASmith
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2014

Seems all gun builds take longer than expected.

Nonetheless, your cartridge will blend nostalga and performance very nicely!

Looking forward to seeing results!
                        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Buck , I feel your pain on getting a rifle done. I have been over run lately on bullet requests,,, I can't find the time to cerakote my new upper..

Awesome caliber - the 280 Brit. Almost a 28., Grrr.--- H mmmmmmm,,,,,

LRRFP 52 sent me a note a while back-- That my shorty 40 would look good in a 28. cal. trim, instead of .30.

What's the availeability on those 7mm pills , acrsoss the pond from us yanks. ? 6.5 is cool ?
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 07-24-2015, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Buck2732
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2012

Sneaky, The original Mauser S12 in 140g we can't find for love nor money.

However 7mm no real problems I am looking wistfully at a stack of 150g SMKs that should be down range at the moment.
                            Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Buck2732
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2012

Well, its taken nearly 18 months, initial time frame eight weeks but its here now. Time to find time to get to the range and shoot her.

thumb_IMG_1161_1024.jpg

My .280 Brit

This is its brother my buddies .280 Brit

WP_20161014_15_18_39_Pro.jpg
                              Last edited by Buck2732; 10-16-2016, 08:50 PM.
                              Buck2732

PER ARDUA

Comment

Working...
                              X