• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • din
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

Accidental 6.5 build.

So I started my first 6.5 Grendel build a little while ago, and it's progressing, but right now it's just a matter of waiting on the barrel and forearm. I ordered one of the 20" BHW barrels and a couple of mags from Mark at PF, and a 15" AP Customs front end. Hopefully everything arrives before the end of June; I've been waiting for some stuff to finish a 300 BLK SBR for coming up on a year, and it's pretty frustrating. The Grendel build started out as more of an afterthought when I ended up with almost all the spare parts to build an upper, and now I'm more excited about it than I am the Blackout. I sold the forearm I initially intended to use since the gas block I have wouldn't fit underneath, and ended up getting a different upper than my spare, so it's costing a lot more than I initially planned, but a little OCD never killed very many people.

I'll be using a Seekins billet lower that I already built out for another rifle as a host, but I'll probably migrate the new upper onto a dedicated lower at some point, assuming my wife doesn't kill me for going over budget first. This forum has been an amazing resource, thanks to everyone who contributes.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds good man. Give in to the dark side! Post pics too. We won't tell the wife.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• din
      Warrior
      • Feb 2015

Finally got her finished. Paul was gracious enough to help with all the heavy lifting, which is fortunate since he's already forgotten more about firearms than I'll ever know. She shoots much better than I do, but hopefully that'll change when I get a chance to take a few classes.

Comment

• devildogandboy
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

she looks like a shooter, nice. let us know.

Bruce
        HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Looks great! Is that a carbon fiber hand guard!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

That rifle is very pleasant to shoot. The reticle just sits where you point it as you break each shot.

It has a Dead Air Suppressors brake on it, which has some 45 degree forward vents before the projo passes into the first gill.

Hnadguard is an AP Customs carbon fiber Gen II model, 15".

He has the LaRue MBT trigger in it.

VLTOR A5 extension and buffer system.

We need to chrono it to see what velocity difference there is with the shallow BHW rifling. This barrel was nitrided as well, so it has a very smooth bore.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              That rifle is very pleasant to shoot. The reticle just sits where you point it as you break each shot.

It has a Dead Air Suppressors brake on it, which has some 45 degree forward vents before the projo passes into the first gill.

Hnadguard is an AP Customs carbon fiber Gen II model, 15".

He has the LaRue MBT trigger in it.

VLTOR A5 extension and buffer system.

We need to chrono it to see what velocity difference there is with the shallow BHW rifling. This barrel was nitrided as well, so it has a very smooth bore.
              Very nice, interested in chrono results...

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

What scope are you using? very impressive looking Grendel!
                If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

It has a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 MRAD FFP IIRC.

The thing I noticed about the brake is that it doesn't seem to be as offensive as other muzzle brakes. There wasn't that massive concussion at the muzzle, but the Grendel doesn't have very offensive muzzle blast as is anyway.

I'll have to see in the future when we do some shooting.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

gorgeous product.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X