• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    Klem,
    Is the bump you are refering to "shoulder setback"?

Is it measured with the Hornady headspace comparator?
    Yes.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
      yup, i was hoping redding made a body die but they don't. so ill probably either drill out the lee FL die i have now so its a body die and then use my normal setup. lube decap body die SS tumble then prime collet size chamfer/debur powder and seat.

works like a champ.
      I know this post is years old now, and probably already replied to. But I'm almost certain redding makes a body dies now. You could always Dremel the hole open with the cheap hazard fraught diamond Dremel bits.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
        I know this post is years old now, and probably already replied to. But I'm almost certain redding makes a body dies now. You could always Dremel the hole open with the cheap hazard fraught diamond Dremel bits.
        Good idea. No need for a carbide drill. It could be ground to a larger neck size, either with carborundum or diamond bits.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Also go slow. Don't heat it up to much and loose the temper. Might want to chop the neck off a case and insert it as well so you don't accidentally plunge to deep and ruin the polish inside the die around the shoulder hole opening.

Some people are definitely ALOT more skilled with power tools than others it's good to know your limits.

Comment

• TKO
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

I use a Lee Collet die as an additional step in the formation of .300 AAC brass from 5.56 parent brass. I was worried about neck uniformity after reforming cases.

Collet.jpg

The center group is ten shots at 50 yards with subsonic 180's utilizing brass that was not treated with the Lee Collet die and measures one inch on the nose.

The two five shot groups are the same load, but the brass was run through the collet dies in an effort to square up the necks: .582" and .492"

Link to thread: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...f=128&t=101096

Obviously, I don't think there would be as great a benefit with 6.5 Grendel factory cases, but it might help a "little" in truing up the necks after full length resizing.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

TKO,
              Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TKO View Post
                I use a Lee Collet die as an additional step in the formation of .300 AAC brass from 5.56 parent brass. I was worried about neck uniformity after reforming cases.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9934[/ATTACH]

The center group is ten shots at 50 yards with subsonic 180's utilizing brass that was not treated with the Lee Collet die and measures one inch on the nose.

The two five shot groups are the same load, but the brass was run through the collet dies in an effort to square up the necks: .582" and .492"

Link to thread: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...f=128&t=101096

Obviously, I don't think there would be as great a benefit with 6.5 Grendel factory cases, but it might help a "little" in truing up the necks after full length resizing.
                Interesting project, thanks TKO.

Here's a question for you...Do you find that after full-length sizing there is resistance as the Lee mandrel enters the case neck. I'm thinking that full-length sizing includes neck sizing so the necks are now constricted. It may be that the mandrel's diameter is larger than the ID of a FL-sized neck.

Comment

• TKO
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  Interesting project, thanks TKO.

Here's a question for you...Do you find that after full-length sizing there is resistance as the Lee mandrel enters the case neck. I'm thinking that full-length sizing includes neck sizing so the necks are now constricted. It may be that the mandrel's diameter is larger than the ID of a FL-sized neck.
                  I don't recognize any real resistance to the mandrel passing through the neck, but it may be just that it is uniform in resistance and, therefore, not really noticeable. I did however notice that 3 or 4 cases out of 300 or so had no "feel" when the collet closed on the case necks. I assumed that these necks were no longer ductile, so I pitched them.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I used the Lee collet die to reload 22 hornet.

With moderate pressure on the handle, the bullet could be slid into the case with fingers.

I think this is how the benchrest guys like it.

More pressure on the handle and the bullet is tight enough to stay.

If I need more neck tension I would have to reduce the mandrel diameter with a drill and fine sandpaper.

Comment

Working...
                    X