• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motoxxx_ryder
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

lee collet dies

just curious if anyone had expressed interest to lee about a 6.5 grendel collet die?

If you dont know the collet die is like a neck bushing die in reverse. The brass goes onto a spindle that is sized to the ID you want of the brass then a collet presses on it sizing it to the correct size. Works great on my 308, 223, and 300 blk bolt guns.

I wrote in today and they said they have had no interest in the caliber. No group buys but if anyone is a lee dealer they offer discounts on custom dies when 25 or more are ordered.

so just curious how the interest is for this product and if others could write in if they are interested in one.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I like the Collet dies and would be interested in one, been thinking about ordering a custom one

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

yea same here, the price for hte 6.5 isnt too bad compared to some of the dies i own, but if if can find a dealer and get enough interest on here we could save a few pennies.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I use the collet die and can vouch for it in bolt guns. No lube needed for a start.

The Lee collet die is a neck sizing die. Are you planning to use this in an AR?

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          I use the collet die and can vouch for it in bolt guns. No lube needed for a start.

The Lee collet die is a neck sizing die. Are you planning to use this in an AR?
          yup, i was hoping redding made a body die but they don't. so ill probably either drill out the lee FL die i have now so its a body die and then use my normal setup. lube decap body die SS tumble then prime collet size chamfer/debur powder and seat.

works like a champ.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I only resize after I have cleaned the case to protect the die from getting scratched. Dies have tighter bores than the rifle's chamber so if there's ever a reason to clean cases it is to protect the re-sizing die.

If you want to use the Lee collet die after you re-prime you will have to cut off the de-priming pin section of the spindle. Unlike other sizing dies the Lee collet de-priming pin is not a separate part. The central spindle is one piece (probably why it is so cheap). May as well neck-size before priming to avoid having to do this.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

I only resize after I have cleaned the case to protect the die from getting scratched. Dies have tighter bores than the rifle's chamber so if there's ever a reason to clean cases it is to protect the re-sizing die.

If you want to use the Lee collet die after you re-prime you will have to cut off the de-priming pin section of the spindle. Unlike other sizing dies the Lee collet de-priming pin is not a separate part. The central spindle is one piece (probably why it is so cheap). May as well neck-size before priming to avoid having to do this.
              i actualyl always cut the deprimeing pin off, i had a few peices of 308 lapua brass that were not centered get caught on the lip between the bevel and the pin. so all my spindles get removed pin broken off, then the bottom is ground to nice smooth taper.

Point taken on the cleaning of the dies prior, im used to bolt gun where the brass is kept pretty clean. AR type i will probably deprime then quick tumble in water and soap to remove dirt and grit then do my steps above.

do you happen to know if you can just drill out the spindle of a FL die so it does not size the neck? Im assuming its a harder steel and will need to turn to a friend who has a lathe and more knowledge of metal working then i have of everything in life.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

That sounds like a good idea.

The die steel will be pretty hard but a lathe will work. Gripping those outside threads in the chuck without damaging them might be an issue.

The .223 Redding body die I have measures .2440 and is a straight smooth-sided drill hole through the top. Nice and simple. It's pretty close to the width of a factory round at the neck, .2430-.2435" so you can bump loaded rounds as well as empty sized cases.

I'll be interested to hear how you go with this.

Comment

• 37L1
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

You can pull the depriming pin out of the Lee collet dies. No need to cut them off.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

What? I always thought it was one piece. Are they a friction fit or threaded?

Comment

• arnie
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2013

You will need a solid carbide drill bit to open the neck of the die .

Comment

• 37L1
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

What? I always thought it was one piece. Are they a friction fit or threaded?
                        Friction fit. I pull them out with carefully adjusted vice grips, when done knock them back in. Works every time.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by arnie View Post
                          You will need a solid carbide drill bit to open the neck of the die .
                          yeai have a buddy with a lathe i might turn to. He custom built me a 204 ruger powder drop die for my progressive. Costs a pecan pie but watching him work and learning about the lathe is worth every penny.

Might have to grip the threads then flip it and run it through the lathe again to chase the threads.

Looks like ill measure a few loaded cases at the neck to tack on .01 and see what happens.

Comment

• arnie
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2013

I have grabbed a lot of dies in a lathe chuck by the threads .I doubt you will hurt them as they are hardened .

Comment

• bronco_buster
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2014

Why not use the collet die first, then bump the shoulder with a type s bushing die without the bushing. An article on accurate shooter discusses runout effect. It advocates FIRST collet neck sizing THEN bumping shoulders...drops runout to almost zero.

Comment

Working...
                              X