• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badmoon692008
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
    badmoon, you did a great service to a many on here. No worrys of how long the screw will last, as they are easily swapped out, as the corrosiveness affects them, nice- I'm off to Blades mill ASAP. Thread pitch?
    I just guessed on the 3mm and found one that was the right length, pitch ended up being M3x0.5... I'm drilling it out today to 4mm and putting in a larger set screw because the 3mm was not large enough to sufficiently block the gas flow.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Nice work. Thanks for the updates. Good call on the larger unit screw .. Keep us all updated as you can . can't beat an inventor up much. I'm one myself, I can stand my own ground.
      I'm Glad that a many like you are onboard now days. We can find new fixes on these weapons together , with the military guys on here- the AR will be cured of all old issueses eventually. Sweetness is close.
      Last edited by sneaky one; 06-05-2015, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• Rust
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2014

I've done two of these, I believe I had posted about it but since all my posts went up in smoke with the spam attack... Anyway, I did one in an old aluminum DPMS set screw mount that I slotted and made clamping. And one with a YHM steel two piece. I think I used 8x32 threads on them but its been several years and I don't have either handy right now.
        The first one I did (DPMS) I screwed up and set the tapped hole a little bit to low, and the screw just kisses the top of the barrel. It adjusts fine, but you have to remove the screw to remove/install the gas block. (don't make that same mistake) I actually did some measuring on the steel one and its fine. I use stainless set screws in the hopes they last a little longer since it has a higher melting point, but since the screws are made of who knows what alloy it may be a wash. It has seen maybe 500 rounds of Grendel without wear issues so far.
        Honestly I really like the low profile Syrac, and SLR adjustables. They're a lot more money than modding one yourself, but I think with the low profile, and detent, it's a better finished product. If you want a rail then doing it yourself is a good option. I may even try to add a detent to mine at some point as I have had the screw back out a little before it got enough fouling to hold it in place.
        Last edited by Rust; 06-16-2015, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X