• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badmoon692008
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Homemade Adjustable Gas Block

I tried a search and didn't find any evidence of someone making their own adjustable gas block on this forum. I'm having issues with my shells extracting early and turning into belted cartridges, and I've already gone well over budget on this build, so instead of dropping money on an adjustable gas block why not make my own? Threw it on the mill to put a flat in it, drilled a hole, tapped it and put in a set screw. Planning on dialing it in tonight and then locktiting it in place. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.
    IMG_6889.jpg
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I've often thought this would work. Keep us updated.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Can't see why it would not work. Curious, though - what steel is the set screw made of? Any thought on its tolerance to high temp gasses? Even if the screw erodes, a steady supply of replacements would still make this cheaper than buying a "tailor made" version.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

if it works would you be willing to do another for a few bucks for your labor lol. Im getting slightly belted cases every now and then.

Comment

• badmoon692008
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
          Can't see why it would not work. Curious, though - what steel is the set screw made of? Any thought on its tolerance to high temp gasses? Even if the screw erodes, a steady supply of replacements would still make this cheaper than buying a "tailor made" version.
          I thought about this as well, I figured I'll just wait and see... If I have issues with the screws eroding quickly maybe I'll look into sourcing a screw made of a different material... As of now it's just a random set screw from the hardware store.

Comment

• badmoon692008
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
            if it works would you be willing to do another for a few bucks for your labor lol. Im getting slightly belted cases every now and then.
            I don't see why not... although once you factor in shipping both ways and down time (I don't know about you but I shoot just about every week during the summer) it might not be worth it. Also pending how long the screws last it might not be the best option to begin with. How many rounds do you have through your gun? I know it was a real bitch to get the gas tube out of the block and mine only had 60 rounds through it. so that's something to consider as well.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
              I don't see why not... although once you factor in shipping both ways and down time (I don't know about you but I shoot just about every week during the summer) it might not be worth it. Also pending how long the screws last it might not be the best option to begin with. How many rounds do you have through your gun? I know it was a real bitch to get the gas tube out of the block and mine only had 60 rounds through it. so that's something to consider as well.
              arounr 250 rounds, my shootign slows down in the summer, something about 110 degree heat lol. Well let us know how it holds up long term! would be cool to see.

Comment

• badmoon692008
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

First try was a bust. Even with the set screw turned all the way in the bolt still locked back and while it seemed to help the belted cartridges at first, when I switched to the second box of ammo they started getting belted again (all factory hornady 123 amax rounds)...I think I'll try to drill it out and put in a bigger set screw... right now it's only a 3mm screw... I'll try drilling it out to 4mm and see how that goes.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

I know it was a real bitch to get the gas tube out of the block and mine only had 60 rounds through it. so that's something to consider as well.[/QUOTE]

I glued some thick leather straps on my bench vice jaws along time ago and they are still working great. After removing the gas tube roll pin, I tighten my leather covered vice jaws on the gas tube and tap a little on the upper receiver and the gas tubes come out every time. Trust me it works every time.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
                    First try was a bust. Even with the set screw turned all the way in the bolt still locked back and while it seemed to help the belted cartridges at first, when I switched to the second box of ammo they started getting belted again (all factory hornady 123 amax rounds)...I think I'll try to drill it out and put in a bigger set screw... right now it's only a 3mm screw... I'll try drilling it out to 4mm and see how that goes.
                    Well, it stands to reason that in order to block the gas flow, the setscrew needs to be at least the same diameter as the gas journal in the block.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• badmoon692008
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      Well, it stands to reason that in order to block the gas flow, the setscrew needs to be at least the same diameter as the gas journal in the block.
                      I figured even if the screw was smaller, then it would act like a partially opened adjustable block, impeding at least some of the gas. Also, 3mm gave me a little more wiggle room in case I messed something up... Obviously it didn't work out like I'd hoped... Worst case it doesn't work and I just fill in the hole, or leave it with the screw in and have to buy an adjustable one anyways... I'll update again once I get the bigger screw in and have a chance to try it out.

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

Joe Bob's outfitter adjustable Gas block 29.99, price of a non adjustable or less.
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• badmoon692008
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                          Joe Bob's outfitter adjustable Gas block 29.99, price of a non adjustable or less.
                          Damn, that's good to know... now I wish I would have just bought one of those from the beginning...

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

badmoon, you did a great service to a many on here. No worrys of how long the screw will last, as they are easily swapped out, as the corrosiveness affects them, nice- I'm off to Blades mill ASAP. Thread pitch?

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

WMD Guns does nitriding of small gun parts. Along with other things. Website is down you could do a few screws that would help with strength and heat abuse. Just a thought too
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                              X