• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by burnsome View Post
    no problem....

The 110gr PPU appears to be a true FMJ while the 120gr PPU has a small hole air space (HP) in the nose
    I think VASCAR2 was asking if the PPU 110gr FMJ has an air space in the nose similar to that of the Wolf 100gr FMJ. I suspect the PPU 110gr has little or no air space.

The air space wouldn't be visible externally. The bullet would have to be sectioned, as was done with the 100gr bullet shown below.

Last edited by stanc; 07-31-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

P.S. If you have a magnet, will you please check to see if the jacket is steel?

Comment

• burnsome
        Warrior
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Thanks Burnsome. I look forward to any results, and wish you luck with the yotes.
        I plan on shooting some 110gr today and will post results since this stuff is apparently new ammo just hitting the shelves. I'll baseline the rifle's performance with Hornady 123AMAX out of my 'el cheapo' Grendel build, and see how the 110 PPU, 120 PPU, and Wolf Gold compare.

A yote 'search and destroy' mission was embarked on yesterday evening behind the house by the hound dog and myself. They must have degassed the area because none found. however, I heard them yapping this morning, so after i have a cigar or two and some coffee I might go on another mission with hound dog and see if they want to come out and play. I have just the right medicine awaiting them if they choose to do so.

Comment

• burnsome
          Warrior
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          I think VASCAR2 was asking if the PPU 110gr FMJ has an air space in the nose similar to that of the Wolf 100gr FMJ. I suspect the PPU 110gr has little or no air space.

The air space wouldn't be visible externally. The bullet would have to be sectioned, as was done with the 100gr bullet shown below.
          gotcha. Maybe i should cut one up and see what it looks like. All I've got is a hack saw and a dremel tool. maybe i could pull a bullet and grind it down and see what it looks like?

Comment

• burnsome
            Warrior
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            P.S. If you have a magnet, will you please check to see if the jacket is steel?
            no problem sir. just checked it and it does not appear to be magnetic.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for checking the bullets with a magnet. The curiosity got the best of me so I ordered some of the PPU 110 grain FMJ 6.5 Grendel yesterday from Graf's & sons. I have several gallon water jugs, I'm itching to test various 6.5/264 bullets.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

gotcha. Maybe i should cut one up and see what it looks like. All I've got is a hack saw and a dremel tool. maybe i could pull a bullet and grind it down and see what it looks like?
                I once sectioned some 9mm bullets with a hacksaw. That was fairly easy, due to the round nose. Never tried it with pointed rifle bullets, though. I think some people do use a Dremel tool, which can make a cleaner cut.

And thanks for doing the magnet test. Appreciated.

Comment

• burnsome
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by san antonio fj View Post
                  Awesome get us a range report with that ASAP
                  ok, here's the good, bad, and ugly from todays outing....Part 1 of 2...

'el cheapo' Model 1 Sales 6.5g upper. 12-inch barrel running 308 suppressor. 100 Yards. 90 degrees OAT. Mild winds (less than 5mph). Leupold 1.25x5 Scope, set on 5X 2MOA 'dot' reticle. It's a blasting and hunting rig, not a target gun.

Baseline is typically Hornady 123 AMAX which i use for hunting. MV 2340fps

Wolf Gold 120gr - shoots pretty good out of my gun...actually, I like it for cheaper plinking. MV 2320fps

PPU 110gr FMJ...accuracy not so great. MV 2334fps

PPU 110gr FMJ - 10-shots @ 50 Yards

Comment

• burnsome
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2011

Part 2 of 2....

PPU 110gr FMJ - here's a 100 yard target showing 5 shot group on top and 10 shot group on bottom...not too impressed...

PPU 120gr 100 yard target. 5 shot group on top and 10 shot group on bottom....better....MV 2300fps

Wolf Gold 120gr 5 shot group on top and 10 shot group on bottom....

Hornady 123 AMAX 5 shot group on top and 10 shot group on bottom....

actually I had a fair amount of mis-feeds with the 120gr PPU. Wouldnt lock the bolt back on last shot and had several jams. Had a malfunction and upon inspection found the ejector plunger on the bolt gone. Did a field expedient repair as I had a new ejector plunger, spring, and dowel retaining pin (which was broken). The spring I put back in the bolt was a tad longer than the one that came out, so I noticed extraction was different, throwning some empty cases further back than normal. Had a couple of mis-feeds from then on so there's some fine tuning I need to do on this gun apparently.

anyway, the new PPU 110gr ammo shoots 'ok' but nothing to write home about. I think I'll burn off all the PPU ammo (110gr and 120gr) ammo on full auto for an afternoon of fun one of these days, and stick with Wolf Gold and Hornady for punching paper and killing yotes.

I'll add that all the ammo (including the 110 PPU) hit 10 for 10 on 8-inch diameter steel at 150 yards, and 5 for 5 on 10-inch steel at 200. Perhaps there is some 'stabilizing' at the further distances, but I didnt have the time to get paper put up at those distances today (or I was too lazy to walk out there and back)

I suspect the new 110gr PPU would shoot better in a longer barrel and better optics on some of the better quality guns you guys are probably running. I suppose time will tell...
                    Last edited by burnsome; 08-02-2015, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

That's about what I'd expect for the 110 FMJ really. It's a base drawn bullet (like M80 ball) vs. the 120 MPT being a nose drawn bullet (like Sierra matchkings and other match bullets). Not bad in all. Pretty much normal looking. I'd expect to see about 2moa out of it in rifles that really liked it.

As for 120 MPT in PPU vs. Wolf Gold boxes, I'd probably guess they are identical. The difference is likely in variances occuring from lot to lot.

Good info Sir. Thank you for doing that!
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Thanks burnsome, excellent report. I really didn't have expectation for stellar accuarcy as I was more curious of FMJ performance to typical 5.56 M-193 and M-855. The 110 grain PPU FMJ doesn't appear to have a cannelure and I'd be surprised if the bullet fragmented in water or gel at a velocity of 2450 FPS or less. With the long length I think the PPU 110 grain bullet will exhibit early yaw in water or gel. I figure barrier penetration will be more than 5.56 but less than 7.62 M-80 because of the PPU's modest velocity and energy.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                          With the long length I think the PPU 110 grain bullet will exhibit early yaw in water or gel.
                          Since it probably has no air space in the tip to shift CG rearward, I predict the PPU 110gr FMJ will have rather late yaw, similar to that shown by the Norma 120gr FMJ.

I figure barrier penetration will be more than 5.56 but less than 7.62 M-80 because of the PPU's modest velocity and energy.
                          Concur. Definitely better than 5.56mm, possibly very close to 7.62mm.

Comment

• san antonio fj
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

ok, here's the good, bad, and ugly from todays outing....Part 1 of 2...
                            awesome, Thanks for making a great report. Think I will stick with Wolf Gold/PPU 120gr unless the 110gr FMJ is significantly cheaper

Comment

• san antonio fj
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2015

Has anyone figured out a recipe to duplicate this load? Im thinking of ordering some of the PPU bullets since my gun seems to like them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

I shot this group not even trying, just to see where we were on paper with my friend's 18" Grendel I built for him, using a Lilja Wasp barrel. We were doing load development in preparation for this upcoming season, and I wanted to have a good idea where I was over the chrono and on target.

This is 120gr MPT PPU out of the box:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X