X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Natchez shooters supply has it in stock at 18.99, ouch!

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
      Natchez shooters supply has it in stock at 18.99, ouch!
      If you think about shipping cost and if they buy from a wholesaler there not making much. I wish I could get a better price on grendel ammo, I'd love to offer a deal to the Horde. But it's just not worth it, so I don't even bother with it.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• GatewayShepherd
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2015

I’ve put over 100 rounds of the PPU 120 thru mine with not so much as a glitch. No signs of high pressure and accuracy right at 1 MOA from a Lilja 20” with SAAMI Grendel chamber.

Comment

• san antonio fj
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I wonder what chamber they were using with that rifle. Doesn't say in the thread. The 123gr AMAX has a more sharp nose profile and is more forgiving of short throats, whereas the PPU 120gr MPT is a tangent ogive that will jam the lands much sooner.

It looks like the case failed at the web, and is belted. That points to early and violent extraction, which is usually a symptom of very high port pressure.

Another problem with using a large rifle primer is that there is less mass in the brass case to act as a heat sink. Even still, this should not be happening with factory ammo, heat or no heat.

I just noticed something in that thread. The OP doesn't specifically state which PPU ammunition was being used, and I saw something in the background of this photo that caught my attention:

Anybody notice the type of projectile on that cartridge in the background...

Looks like the 123gr PPU Soft Point, which we haven't seen in a long time. That load was a notorious bad performer for most on the board dating back to the first Grendel Forum. It wouldn't chamber in a lot of guns, and those that did, it was jammed into the lands often.
          I just got an answer from the OP over there and he says it was 120MPT lot #1501, I wonder if its a chamber issue? surly others here would have reported issues if it was a bad lot.

Comment

• cosh
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

I hope not. I just got a couple boxes from Cabelas and they are also lot 1501. I pulled some down and they have 29.0 to 29.5 grains of ball powder. OAL is right at 2.230 inches. Maybe reduce the powder and reseat the bullets?? I just built my 264LBC with a BHW barrel and I don't want to ruin it or myself.

Comment

• wfa17332
              Bloodstained
              • May 2015

The BBT just delivered some from PSA; lot number is 1503. Unfortunately, it's going to be a week until I can test it.

Comment

• san antonio fj
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

I have some 1502 I plan on testing pretty soon. Im thinking it was a chamber issue or more people would be reporting it here

Comment

• burnsome
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2011

PPU 110gr does exist sirs....

looking forward to shooting it this weekend. shot a yote this week out back of the house with my 223. more out there so will get the grendel sighted in with these 110s and if they shoot good will try to knock another one down. they are all over the place here.
                  Last edited by burnsome; 07-30-2015, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• san antonio fj
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2015

Awesome get us a range report with that ASAP

Comment

• burnsome
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by san antonio fj View Post
                      Awesome get us a range report with that ASAP
                      hope to warm up the barrel this saturday

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I wonder if the 110 grain bullet from PPU has an air space in the nose? The bullet is still pretty long so it should still yaw fairly soon after striking a target. Being the pest I am, if you get time would you post a photo of the 110 grain PPU FMJ standing next to an MPT or other 6.5 Grendel loaded round.

Comment

• burnsome
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                          I wonder if the 110 grain bullet from PPU has an air space in the nose? The bullet is still pretty long so it should still yaw fairly soon after striking a target. Being the pest I am, if you get time would you post a photo of the 110 grain PPU FMJ standing next to an MPT or other 6.5 Grendel loaded round.
                          no problem....

The 110gr PPU appears to be a true FMJ while the 120gr PPU has a small hole air space (HP) in the nose

Last edited by burnsome; 07-30-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Great photography thanks! Looks like the 110 grain FMJ will have decent BC.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Thanks Burnsome. I look forward to any results, and wish you luck with the yotes.
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by burnsome View Post
                                PPU 110gr does exist sirs....
                                Wow! Like seeing a leprechaun or a unicorn! Will wonders never cease?

Thanks a million for taking the time for some photos!
                                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                                X