X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I wonder what chamber they were using with that rifle. Doesn't say in the thread. The 123gr AMAX has a more sharp nose profile and is more forgiving of short throats, whereas the PPU 120gr MPT is a tangent ogive that will jam the lands much sooner.

It looks like the case failed at the web, and is belted. That points to early and violent extraction, which is usually a symptom of very high port pressure.

Another problem with using a large rifle primer is that there is less mass in the brass case to act as a heat sink. Even still, this should not be happening with factory ammo, heat or no heat.

I just noticed something in that thread. The OP doesn't specifically state which PPU ammunition was being used, and I saw something in the background of this photo that caught my attention:

Anybody notice the type of projectile on that cartridge in the background...

Looks like the 123gr PPU Soft Point, which we haven't seen in a long time. That load was a notorious bad performer for most on the board dating back to the first Grendel Forum. It wouldn't chamber in a lot of guns, and those that did, it was jammed into the lands often.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• san antonio fj
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

Yeah I was wondering if its the early soft points I heard about with the soft brass

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

I confirm LR's suspicion. Need more info about the chamber and the projectile.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Yep, seconded. Probably the old 123 SPs. Soft as butter.

As far as shooting the 120 MPT in the heat?

I tested it up to about 150-160 degrees on the old forum. I got it so hot you couldn't touch the mags or anything else with bare skin. I only managed to pop some primers. The 120MPT load is good with me. Barring some kind of bizarre manufacturing defect--- it is a good safe load all around.

Here we go. IIRC--- When I dropped the Kestrel on the dashboard (where I baked the loaded black magazines in high sun in August), it rapidly hit 155ish and was still climbing. I was afraid I'd kill my Kestrel, so I yanked it back out quickly.LOL

Anyway. Out of all the rounds fired, I only managed to pop a few primers with the pressure. The heat was waaay up there, and folks would have to be stupid to do that. Even dumb redneck testers like me.LOL

Last edited by Variable; 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• san antonio fj
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

Good to know Variable, because my gun seem to like it pretty well

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

I'll give PPU credit for trying. Those 123 lead-nose soft-points were their first attempt at the 6.5 Grendel, one of the first factory loads outside of Alexander Arms, if I recall. But the exposed lead nose would get chewed up on the feed ramps, I could chamber a round and get bullet setback, and the primer pockets were too loose after one firing to use again. Velocity was nothing to write home about. A for effort; D for functionality.

By the way, and a bit of history: When one of these Tri-Service Working Groups (TSWG) convened to test the new intermediate cartridges, 6.5 and 6.8 versus 5.56, guess which round they chose to represent the 6.5 Grendel? Alexander Arms' superb 123 Lapua load? No. Their 120 Barnes TSX load? Oh, no. They got their hands on PPU's struggling 123 soft-point. Among the TSWG consultants were some leading figures in promoting the 6.8 SPC, including THE leading figure in promoting the 6.8 SPC, so their bias was totally expected, yet was still shocking when a lowly secretary — poor, innocent girl — let slip to someone on the phone that they didn't need a better 6.5 round since they were only going through the motions with the 6.5 Grendel so they could say they "tested" it.

You'd be amazed at what goes on behind the scenes at some of these supposedly "objective" trials.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• burnsome
                Warrior
                • Jun 2011

Anybody seen/used the 110gr FMJ PPU ammo?

oops...link defaults to the search page. Search for 6.5Grendel and they show a 100gr FMJ load

Ctg Art. Bullet Art. Bullet Type Bullet Weight (gr)
                A-484 B-484 FMJ BT 7.10 110
                Last edited by burnsome; 07-22-2015, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

I'm thinking PPU's 110 FMJ is vaporware, although I'd love to see it!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Just noticed PSA has a daily sale on Privi 6.5 Grendel Ammo, $13.99 a box.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      I'm thinking PPU's 110 FMJ is vaporware, although I'd love to see it!
                      Last edited by Variable; 07-25-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• burnsome
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2011

yes sir Variable - thats where i saw it, and they have had the other varieties in stock for several weeks now, so thats a good thing. i think i'll order some PPU 110gr fodder tonight. Will get out with it next weekend and see how it shoots in my suppressed SBR. Will report back on how it does.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burnsome View Post
                          yes sir Variable - thats where i saw it, and they have had the other varieties in stock for several weeks now, so thats a good thing. i think i'll order some PPU 110gr fodder tonight. Will get out with it next weekend and see how it shoots in my suppressed SBR. Will report back on how it does.
                          Sounds great! I look forward to seeing a 110 FMJ review thread.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

No way, you guys serious? Cool! Doesn't PPU believe in advertising? "Uh, we got this new product, but I don't suppose we need to bother telling anyone about it. Cuz then we'd have to go through the hassle of actually taking an order, and then we'd have to box it up, and then we'd have to ship it. . . . So advertise? Nah."

Anyway, somebody got a link to a website where we can buy it?

P.S. I note that PPU's website lists their 120 HPBT in the 65G in a 610mm/24in barrel as 815 m/s (2674 fps) and their 110 FMJ as 840 m/s (2756 fps). Not bad. I wonder how these chronograph out in the "real world"?

Comment

• burnsome
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Anyway, somebody got a link to a website where we can buy it?

P.S. I note that PPU's [url=http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle_ammo.php
                              website[/url] lists their 120 HPBT in the 65G in a 610mm/24in barrel as 815 m/s (2674 fps) and their 110 FMJ as 840 m/s (2756 fps). Not bad. I wonder how these chronograph out in the "real world"?
                              Its starting to show up at wholesalers, so it shouldnt be too long before it finds its way to the usual suppliers.

I'll chorograph the 110gr's MV out of my 12-inch SBR next weekend and report both group sizes and MV. Will do the same with the 120gr PPU for comparison. I think i was getting around 2350fps with Hornady 123gr AMax fodder when i shot it a while back. Hell, since I'll be at it, I'll chrono MVs and groups with all of them next weekend.

Comment

• am4966
                                Chieftain
                                • Jul 2014

Yep 110 FMJ instock at a distributer I use, they have there PPU. A little pricey at $15ish
                                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                                X