X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Oh that's very nice! Have you calculated a rough BC for these?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by danm View Post
      Oh that's very nice! Have you calculated a rough BC for these?
      No. I've seen figures into the high .4's, down to high .3's for G1. I just don't know, and this has been a common question on the forum for years.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

LRRPF52 did you chronograph the 120 grain PPU, just curious on the velocity out of an 18" barrel at your elevation?

Comment

• burnsome
          Warrior
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Thanks burnsome, excellent report. I really didn't have expectation for stellar accuarcy as I was more curious of FMJ performance to typical 5.56 M-193 and M-855. The 110 grain PPU FMJ doesn't appear to have a cannelure and I'd be surprised if the bullet fragmented in water or gel at a velocity of 2450 FPS or less. With the long length I think the PPU 110 grain bullet will exhibit early yaw in water or gel. I figure barrier penetration will be more than 5.56 but less than 7.62 M-80 because of the PPU's modest velocity and energy.
          I hear/see some are getting very good accuracy with the 120gr bullets. My gun was really acting up that day, and I discovered later that I had a broken magazine spring which contributed to some misfeeds and failure to lock the bolt back. Not sure if that could have affected accuracy or not, but will continue to shoot both PPU loads and see how they wring out.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

LRRPF52 did you chronograph the 120 grain PPU, just curious on the velocity out of an 18" barrel at your elevation?
            I did, but I don't have the numbers in front of me. Another forum member and friend I was with wrote them down I think in his notebook. I think they were in the mid-2400's, but can't be sure.

Muzzle velocity will be the same no matter the elevation. Temperature will be the only environmental factor to change MV.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Here is a photo of a recovered 110 grain FMJ PPU after penetrating approximately 30" of water, a piece of cardboard and bouncing off a steel plate. When I examined the bullet I observed the nose was flattened out as was the base of the bullet. The base of the bullet had white paint transfer from hitting my steel target. The way the nose of the bullet bent over makes me wonder if there is a hollow space in the nose. I don't think the nose of the bullet hit the stell plate but the body of the bullet was flattened.

Here is a photo of the base of the bullet. I looked at the jugs after they had been shot and only the first jug had a diameter hole from the bullet entry. The second and third jugs were ripped apart and no visible bullet entry or exit could be observed to determine the bullets attitude. The bullet went through the last two jugs sideways and the nose also creased the corner of another jug as it's course veered to the right.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Good pics. Thanks for posting.

Here is a photo of a recovered 110 grain FMJ PPU after penetrating approximately 30" of water, a piece of cardboard and bouncing off a steel plate. When I examined the bullet I observed the nose was flattened out as was the base of the bullet. The base of the bullet had white paint transfer from hitting my steel target. The way the nose of the bullet bent over makes me wonder if there is a hollow space in the nose.
                Has anybody sectioned one of these yet?

Comment

Working...
                X