X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Last question first: yes, higher velocities show less wind drift BUT the difference in drift for a 25 fps increase is so small as to be ignorable for most of us. Going to lighter bullets of similar shape is a losing battle because the reduced BC tends to give greater drift in spite of the speedier start.

A good rule of thumb: shoot for an accuracy node within about 100 fps of a published maximum load for your powder and bullet. The improvement in accuracy will trump any gains from wind drift reduction.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• GSPHunter
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Boostmeister View Post
      Dropping the hammer on a .338 Win Mag pumping out 225 gr bullets at 3K fps has got to let you know that you have something in your hand and against your shoulder. Not unlike my deer rifle. Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in 454 Casull pushing out 300 gr bullets at 1750 fps. Makes for a neat fireball at dusk.
      Yeah, I will be honest. I am not the man I used to be, and use a kitchen towel named "my binky" to help keep the bruising down when shooting off the bench :-) It seems like once I started getting over max book loads, the thing starts barking pretty good, and it starts throwing flyers. At max book, Its a one hole 5 shot rifle, still running 2870FPS, so I'm pretty happy staying there.

I've only shot a 454 once in my life.....It is impressive :-)

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Gsp hunter- we need to have a sit down chat

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The 454 Casull out a Freedom Arms revolver is a pussy cat compared to a full house 475 Linebaugh in a Freedom Arms revolver with a 5 1/2" magna ported barrel.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-04-2015, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
            Yeah, I will be honest. I am not the man I used to be, and use a kitchen towel named "my binky" to help keep the bruising down when shooting off the bench :-)
            Sounds like you've gotten smart in your old age.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
              The hardest part to me has always been getting the water just even with the top of the case, waters surface tension and ability to creep is amazing!
              GSP If you add a little bit of detergent to the water it will relieve the surface tension.

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

I recently loaded up some Amax with CFE223 and did some velocity tests. (I loaded to 31.4 Gr. of CFE223) since it was below max and seemed to be a fairly accurate load for most. I made up about 50+ rounds for plinking. Lilja Barrel 319 profile

<Disclaimer: I did have an issue with my powder drop and had to remove some rounds in-between when I noticed the issue. It is possible that some of the velocity differences have +/- powder in those loads showing some Inconsistencies.

OAL: with taken from a factory Hornady 123 SST round

Velocity:

With AAC SDN suppressor (7.62) (Slight change in POI from unsuppressed load)

I was shooting off of a bag on a slightly wobbly table with a bit of a cross wind (10-15mph); but it was pretty accurate 5 round groups were at 1"-1.25" @96 yards with 2-4 rounds touching.
                Last edited by Kikn; 07-29-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                  I recently loaded up some Amax with CFE223 and did some velocity tests. (I loaded to 31.4 Gr. of CFE223) since it was below max and seemed to be a fairly accurate load for most. I made up about 50+ rounds for plinking. Lilja Barrel 319 profile

<Disclaimer: I did have an issue with my powder drop and had to remove some rounds in-between when I noticed the issue. It is possible that some of the velocity differences have +/- powder in those loads showing some Inconsistencies.

OAL: with taken from a factory Hornady 123 SST round

Velocity:

With AAC SDN suppressor (7.62) (Slight change in POI from unsuppressed load)

I was shooting off of a bag on a slightly wobbly table with a bit of a cross wind (10-15mph); but it was pretty accurate 5 round groups were at 1"-1.25" @96 yards with 2-4 rounds touching.
                  Barrel length?

Comment

• Kikn
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                    Barrel length?
                    It's the lilja 319 profile. I believe thats 18.5" but it's listed @19" on their website

(also it was from the original group buy with the longer throat)

Comment

Working...
                    X