• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdog
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2013

Homemade 50 Cent Lube Syringe

I got tired of fighting Q-Tips and toothpicks when I lubed my rails, trigger group, and other parts of my AR, so I made this lube syringe. I bought a 3ml BD Integra Syringe from CVS. This type of syringe has a needle that extracts into the plunger after use, but the good thing about it is that when you remove the needle carrier the barrel is wide open at both ends. Another good thing is that when you remove the needle assembly out of the needle carrier the hole that is left is a perfect compression fit for those red plastic straws that come on spray oil cans. The original needle assembly is easily removed from the back of the needle carrier with a pair of needle nose pliers. I also bought a second standard non retracting 3ml syringe so that I could cannibalize it's plunger because the Integra plunger will have a hole in the rubber plunger cap and also locks into the barrel after use for safe disposal. I cut the red straw in half so that I could use the cap that goes over the needle, but if you want a longer needle you may elect not to cut yours. I removed the plunger and filled from that end with the needle carrier out. Bubbles can be removed by stirring from the top with a toothpick, or if your grease is thick, stick a clothes hanger wire down the middle leaving a vent hole. As you push the plunger up the grease will consolidate at the bottom and close the vent hole up as it moves toward the needle carrier end.

So that's about it. Each syringe was $.25, so cost was 50 cents plus the cost of the grease.

lube_syringe.jpg
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm lazy, so I just use this bottle: http://www.amazon.com/Gaunt-Industri...BBHHFMWJK981X3

I refill it out of a gallon jug of Mobile 1 oil that I had laying around. I do use CLP, but I got tired of chasing bottles around and decided to go with a good refillable. Mobile 1 works great in guns.

Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• wraith1516
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Looks like one of thoes old worm inflaters bass fishermen use to make worms float

Comment

• Rust
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2014

I actually just use a worm inflater....
        I use a mix of Redline oil (can't remember the visc right now) and moly axle grease. Dropped stainless bearing into the bottle to mix with a couple of shakes. The quart/tube of grease have lasted me for years, and work great.

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Yea I have a few of them have a friend who bass fishes (why I dont know they taste like mushy sh! T) but when they get dull he gives them to me I use them on my fiahing reels, might have to fill one with some wilson combat lube

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

I use these for all kinds of things. They are great for lubing firearms.

Comment

• wraith1516
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Yes I use thoes to put cleaner on patches but they dont close or seal up tight so they are bench use only not transportable right.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Exactly. You just leave the oil (or whatever) in the original vessel and pull off a bit to put on a bore snake, patch, or directly on a part that might need lube or cleaner on it.

Comment

• Rust
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

I use those also for bore cleaner. (pipettes) Some one somewhere who's opinion I must have respected at the time told me that redipping a brush or swab would eventually lead to contaminating or in some way fouling the cleaner. I've been using a dropped of some sort for so long now I don't even know where I got the idea to do it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X