• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Bison @ 2240 yards with Iron Sights

Hell - I was at that range, last September, and never even saw the Bison, let alone take a shot at it. Only thing I saw out at that distance was something resembling a Barn Door that bwaites and I ranged.

What is absolutely mind blowing is that this guy does it with a milsurp Swiss K31 Straight Pull he'd picked up for $99, chambered in 7.5x55 Swiss.

Yeah, he walked it in. Impressive, nonetheless. It's a feat just ID'ing the target with the naked eye, let alone putting rounds on it.

Could you hit a buffalo at 1.27 miles (2240 yards) ... with iron sights? Impossible as that may seem, that's exactly what Ernie Jimenez did last month at the North Springs Shooting Range in Price, Utah (elevation 5,627'). Shooting a milsurp Swiss K31 rifle chambered for the 7.

Last edited by NugginFutz; 06-13-2015, 01:00 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

If I'm not mistaken, that's the bison that we shot from 700 yards up Buffalo Canyon next to Cowboy Town. They are shooting way right of Cowboy Town from the 1000 yard range. That's why the bullet is splashing right and hitting at the back foot or thereabouts.

Awesome!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

That is just amazing. Iron sights? I don't even see how you could do the hold over. "Well done" seems an understatement

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        If I'm not mistaken, that's the bison that we shot from 700 yards up Buffalo Canyon next to Cowboy Town. They are shooting way right of Cowboy Town from the 1000 yard range. That's why the bullet is splashing right and hitting at the back foot or thereabouts.

Awesome!
        Holy crap, bwaites! I checked on Google Earth and the 700 yard bison @ Buffalo Canyon aligns perfectly at 2240 yards to the 1000 yard benches. Nice call.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• PredatorDown
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

He was going for a Guinness world record. I'm not sure of the parameters or official record title. The only thing I know for sure is they had to have surveyors out to confirm the distance.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            Holy crap, bwaites! I checked on Google Earth and the 700 yard bison @ Buffalo Canyon aligns perfectly at 2240 yards to the 1000 yard benches. Nice call.

I was going to try both the 1500 and that shot next time with the .338, but now that it's been done with open sights.....
            Last edited by bwaites; 06-13-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

The buffalo target is 800yds from the shooting position in Baffalo Canyon. We shot it a bunch in February in the rain and sleet, but it was painted black then. It's way up in the top of this picture, but you can't see it.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X