• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Group at 960 Yards

Yesterday I was finally able to get out and shoot again with an older friend of mine. I hadn't shot with him in close to 6 months, as he had extensive back surgery and didn't want to risk anything with the recoil (I couldn't blame him). He has a couple thousand acres and has set up a range on part of his property. Steel starting at 300 yards, and then every hundred yards up to 960, which is the furthest the canyon will allow him to shoot from his bench.

When we had first got out there, temperatures were in the mid 90's and harsh sunshine. We decided to wait it out for an hour or so to see if things would change a little. A heavy thunderstorm came rolling through, dumping 1/2" of rain in about 20 minutes, but it actually saved our day. Temperatures dropped to the mid-upper 70's, and the fresh rain cooled the ground enough to kill all mirage. The wind was absolutely quiet. We couldn't feel a thing at the bench, and none of the windage flags at any of the steel were moving.

He pulled out several of his toys first, and started playing at 700 yards. He was shooting several of his benchrest guns (Kelbly and Bat actions, extremely heavy Kreiger barrels) mostly chambered in 6x47L and 6.5x284. He had several groups going that were under 5", and he said he must be having an off day! He stepped back to the 800 yard for fresh paint, and printed one group at 3" with his 6.5x284. At that, he said he'd call it a day.

I set up the Grendel and started playing around from 600+ and was keeping decent groups (all within MOA at their respective ranges). I set up on the 960 yard target, which is a deer silhouette halfway up a steep hillside. It had already been shot up pretty good in the center, so once I was on I started trying to hit it in the head (it was still untouched). After a few rounds I was able to make contact, but I decided I wanted to see what I could group. I chose a spot on the rump that was still fresh, and let them fly.

My first shot hit center of the untouched portion, almost exactly where I had been aiming. I held in the same spot, sent another, and just watched the splash from the first seem to get bigger. "Ok" I thought, "those two pretty much stacked". I was about to pull off one more, but remembered my bolt had locked back after the second shot. Crap! I forgot to reload my mag when I went to shoot for group! I hurried and put one more in and set back up, hoping to send it before conditions changed. I held the same as before, and let her fly. The splash once again just seemed to grow. That seemed worth hiking up the hill to measure! I let my buddy shoot a few through the Grendel before heading down. He shot once at my group, and hit the tail of the deer which would have opened the group up to about 6". He shot a few more at the head, and then we decided we had better call it a day if we were going to paint the targets before it got dark.

I ran out as close as I could to the 960 on the ATV, grabbed my tape measure, and climbed the hill. I had never actually been out to that target, and it was smaller than I had originally thought! My excitement grew as I got closer and could see how tight the group actually was. I got up to it, and measured slightly under 3.5"! I just couldn't believe it.

Granted, this is an atypical result. The gun will usually shoot around 10-12" at 1000 yards. I know this probably won't happen again for a very long time (if ever) but damnit I did it once! With a witness and pictures!

After seeing that my buddy decided he's probably going to build a bolt action Grendel on a Nesika Bay action he just picked up

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Now THAT's a fun day at the range!! Well done.

Comment

• Predmilitia
      Bloodstained
      • May 2015

Very impressive.

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Frick yeah!!! When I was shooting out to 942 a few weeks ago I couldn't believe how close they were impacting, granted it was a boulder so couldn't measure group, but me and my LEO buddy were pretty impressed...

Comment

• Heorot
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

Great shooting!! Nothing like having a friend with his own shooting range...

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

It was an absolute great time! I couldn't believe the conditions. I don't think I've ever shot with everything being that perfect and calm.

Heorot, I've got my own range on family property 5 minutes from his, and 20 minutes from home we're limited to 600 yards there though. But I also found a place 10 minutes from home where I can set up to 1400 only downside is that's on public land, and we always seem to have to wait for someone to drive through there. Good thing we can see them coming from a couple miles out on that spot though

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Sweet!
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Butterbean
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Wholeee Grendel Groups, Batman. NICE work!
                Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

great range report, PD! i believe i'd have to frame that photo and hang it over the mantlepiece.
                  Last edited by jawbone; 06-16-2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

Now's that's some nice shooting PF!
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Very nice indeed.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Very cool! What ammo or load?
                        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Nice shooting, P. Down. We are to try 800-1200 yds soon.,, up north on a safe - no use powerline run. If I hit a 3'x 3' spot, I'll be a happy guy.

Which bullet did you shoot? I'll be trying out a 110 gr. ABLR unit.,, Plus a 94 grn. GMX.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 06-18-2015, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                            Very cool! What ammo or load?
                            It's actually quite a tame load, but it's what shoots best for me by far.

30gr of BL-C(2)
                            123 Amax
                            Lapua brass
                            Remington 7 1/2 primers
                            Seated to 2.25" OAL

Sneaky, keep us posted on how it goes! 3' x 3' shouldn't be too much trouble. My furthest hits to date was on a 2' x 2' target at 1400

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Wow! Cool, I'll borrow a better scope for this shoot . We are a close range hunt group here in MN. Thick forests. Snap shooting... Thanks P. Down

Comment

Working...
                              X