• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mesa1978
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Another One Built - Maybe the Last

I put together another complete rifle over the past couple weeks, really finished it Saturday night.

Here are the components:

20" Shilen DCM 1:9 Barrel from Midway with the matching bolt
    JP Lo Pro adjustable stainless finish gas block
    DPMS rifle gas tube
    JP Modular Forearm - this is the version before the MK III, w/o an o-ring
    MUR 1A Upper
    Smith chrome carrier - not DPMS, not sure I should use it, kind of rare, but WTH
    Colt SS firing pin M16
    BCM retaining pin
    DPMS TiN cam pin - had it laying around, I have some BCM to replace if needed
    Black Rain Ordnance Billet Lower
    Colt lower parts
    Geissele SSA-E
    Hogue Overmold
    Magpul PRS with a Colt mil spec tube and a Wolff spring with standard rifle buffer
    BCM Ambi charge handle
    Weaver 20 MOA base
    Burris 30MM Signature Zee rings
    SWFA SS 3x-15 Scope

Everything went together reasonably well. The block needed a lot of sanding to fit and the forearm timing took a while to get lined up. The instructions suggested that if part of the lock ring is in the way of the tube path, just ahead and grind it off; WTF? I didn't need to grind anything, just have some patience. Guess i should't have trued the MUR.

I'll take it to the range in a while and see how it shoots.

I hope this is the last one I build, it is an addiction.
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

1434406444206.jpg and Lego's for grown ups.

Comment

• achristian8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Pictures
      Adam

Comment

• Mesa1978
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Sighted this one in at 100 yds. yesterday. Temp was about 92 degrees. I used factory 123 AMAX. My batch was temperature sensitive. I got some extractor swiping and more concerning, primer cratering and flashing. The groups reflected this. I only shot 25 rounds with 4 measured groups. the 4th group was an encouraging .516 MOA. Once I got the gas adjusted, function was perfect and the last group reflected a gun that is happy gassed. As you would expect the DPMS TiN cam pin is pretty well scuffed down to the uncoated metal. Guess it's a good thing these aren't generally available anymore.

The barrel cleaned up easily and the SS 3X-15 moved to zero and the mils in the reticle were accurate to the turrets. I also had my Stoner barreled build along and the Nikon 4.5X-14 mil dot side focus was actually a bit brighter and clearer even with a 1" tube; better coatings I imagine.

Where I live temps will not get lower than the '90's until October, so I am going to work up some hand loads to deal with the temperatures and hopefully support my accuracy desires.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Good to see you went with a 20 MOA mount for your scope. Hitting steel way out there and seeing it moving before hearing the clang is very addictive to me. I hope you enjoy your Shilen as much as I have mine.

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Good to see you went with a 20 MOA mount for your scope. Hitting steel way out there and seeing it moving before hearing the clang is very addictive to me. I hope you enjoy your Shilen as much as I have mine.
            Thank you very much! I've always wanted a Shilen, even way back when they branded complete rifles. So far I am quite happy with it.
            Last edited by Mesa1978; 06-20-2015, 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling challenged

Comment

Working...
            X