• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rvicta
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2015

Almost Ready To Start Assembling My Grendel

Finally received my 24" Grendel VarMatch barrel. Waited 4 months for Krieger to get it to me so I could finish my build. I have pretty much everything else except for the free float rail, gas block (although Krieger included their .936 gas block), gas tube, scope and rings. For a bench/target rifle, Krieger recommended that I leave the barrel simple. So, there's no fluting and it's not threaded.

Additional parts to this build are:
    PRS stock
    VLTOR MUIR-1A upper reciever
    VLTOR MODPOD MP-1 side mounted bipod
    Parallax Tactical TiN bolt carrier
    Underground Tactical 6.5 Grendel II bolt
    Precision Point Firearms lower receiver
    White Oak Armament lower receiver parts
    Vytamenc Tactical Anti-Walk trigger pins
    Jewell AR-15 trigger group
    CAA Pistol Grip w/Stand

After some recommendations, the free float rail that I am considering is the Seekins Precision SP3R V3 MOD RAIL. I will also probably replace the included Krieger gas block with a low profile .936 adjustable gas block (JPGS-8 or is the version for a .308 recommended?) from JP Rifles. I can't decide if the look I want is for the gas block to be completely covered by the free float rail or if it should just be peeking out. If there are any suggestions from others, please chime in.
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

I prefer my gas block inside the handguard as I deerhunt in some thick swamp and my thought behind my decision is if the gun gets banged around the gas block is protected and I dont like the look of the gasblock sticking out from under the handguard

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Good luck with your build and welcome. To each his own on how they set up the look of their rifles, I have some with the block exposed and some just tucked under the hand rail. It really depends on how it will be used as wraith stated or how you want it to look. With an adjustable block you really need to be able to get to it and adjust it so if you tuck it make sure you can reach it to adjust. On my SBR it sets about an inch inside the rail but I adjust it from the front with a allen wrench.

Comment

• GarandThumb
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

That seekins tube looks interesting. For a bench/target rifle that should ride a front bag well. I went with a white oak varmint float tube myself.

As stated, if you go with an adjustable gas block it would be better for the block to be exposed. I had considered an adjustable gas block for my build but opted for a non adjustable (white oak target style). My main reason was to keep things simple. I've read on this board that the rifle length gas system usually doesn't need the adjustable gas block. Thankfully mine is working just fine without it. Everything ejects into a nice pile at 4:00 (when im not using a brass catcher).

Looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

Comment

Working...
        X