• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lwminton
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Boostmeister View Post
    "Get this tool and your life will change!

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...let-comparator"

Has Redding added the 6.5 Grendel to this tool?
    I don't think so, but long ago I spoke to the Redding Tech Support and they gave me a close substitute (6 PPC I think) that sets up on the case OK. Remember, to use it as a comparator you are not looking for a measurement, just a number. My 3x fired case gives 1.12 or something like that. It would be different if I reset the dial. When you size the case, you just want a smaller number , 3 or 4 ticks on the dial (1,000ths). It is the difference that counts. Call Redding and they will explain the details. It was so long ago, I have forgotten them.
    Last edited by lwminton; 06-23-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Not liking to spend $ when there are things I can use without spending any, I just use a 357mag case that has been trimmed so it is square. Like lwminton said you are looking for how much setback not the exact measurement. .003 setback is usually enough to chamber reliably without working the case a lot.

Comment

• lwminton
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by kmon View Post
        Not liking to spend $ when there are things I can use without spending any, I just use a 357mag case that has been trimmed so it is square. Like lwminton said you are looking for how much setback not the exact measurement. .003 setback is usually enough to chamber reliably without working the case a lot.
        The datum diameter on the 6 PPC II tool is .350. Your method is definitely cheaper, but my II is installed on a T7 and available and fast and maybe a tad more accurate than the .357 because it is only set up once.

Comment

• Boostmeister
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

I've been using a Hornady Lock-N-Load headspace kit with a digital caliper. After think about the Redding tool, it wouldn't make sense in my application. I have a Dillon 550B that I use for pistol loading, but an RCBS Rock Chucker for all my rifle loading. I would need to pull the sizing die and replace it with the Redding tool, then reverse the operation after making another adjustment. If I had a T7 (hum, might be good justification) then the Redding tool would make more sense. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Man, how ever did we get Grendel brass sized down without all this stuff!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Man, how ever did we get Grendel brass sized down without all this stuff!
              LOL, so true!

I've only loaded 10,000 or so rounds without them!

Comment

• Buster
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

I love using the precision mics from RCBS (it's a great tool to know where you are at and where you want to be) but they do not make one for the Grendel. I talked to the head dick of new product development at the RCBS booth at the NRA convention in Nashville back in April and asked if they had plans to add the Grendel the pecision mic line. His response was a flat out "no".

I inquired at Whidden Gun Works if they had any plans to make such a tool for the Grendel. Here was their response 7 months a go:

Thank you for your interest! We do not have plans to add the 6.5 Grendel to our standard, in stock Case Gauges. However, we can make one as a custom. The cost is $125 and lead time is 2-5 weeks.

Thank you again,
                Carrie Whidden

I'm just about ready to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get the process started....

Comment

• SG4247
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

Here is a nice article on the precision mic and the spacer I was describing.

.456" spacer length works best for me on the Grendel.

6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.
                  NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• lwminton
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

[QUOTE=Boostmeister;113486]I've been using a Hornady Lock

It's only money. Get the T7 and the II. Your numbers will be better, faster, and easier.

Farting around with hand tolls makesnosense.

I used a 550 b and gave up because I didn't hit anything.

Precision is an inescapable ingredient.

Semper Fi

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
                      Here is a nice article on the precision mic and the spacer I was describing.

.456" spacer length works best for me on the Grendel.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRPrecMIC.html
                      I just ran some new Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass through a case gauge, and unlike my 260 Rem, where the brass looks perfect, I'm seeing the base drop slightly below the gauge opening (by maybe .002"), and the top of the neck slightly above (by about the same amount). The overall length is fine, so this appears to me to indicate
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SG4247
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

Right on! Nice catch!
                        NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Do you have pics of your set-up? While looking over some of the available mics from RCBS, I'm not seeing anything that is close in size to 6.5 Grendel.

It would be a nice tool to have because you set it up based on your fire-formed brass, not some arbitrary case gauge that was cut with who knows what reamer.

This is one tool I could see being useful for me, as I currently use my chambers to check shoulder set back.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X