• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BryReloads
    Unwashed
    • May 2015

123 Lapua Scenar Load Data with CFE223

Has anyone found a load for the 123 Lapua Scenar with CFE223? The 123 AMAX is working wonderfully with it but I haven't been able to get .5" or better with the Scenar quite yet (5 shot group).

Just built my Grendel with the following:

Quality Arms Lower taken from my 5.56
    ACS Stock w/ H2 Buffer and Wolff XP spring
    BCG taken from 5.56
    Seekins Precision SP3R V2 Mod Rail System - 15" Triangular
    Odin Works Sling Stud Keymod attachment for Harris Bipod
    Hiperfire 24C set at 2lbs.
    Lilja 23" SS Barrel AR24 contour with JP Enterprises Adj. Gas Block (.936)
    SWFA 3-15 FFP Tactical Rifle Scope (mil/mil)
    ASC mag, modified to not suck (still needs work...)
    Striker Industries charging handle and bolt catch
    ERGO grip with palm shelf

010e9bdf63f236bc6b86fe24df76f39cac41826c3f.jpg015cb99d8e949889921ca5f07bc3a11b1990ecff50.jpg
  • SG4247
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

My father and I both tried that combo in several Grendels with no luck.

The Scenar is so long, that it uses up case volume space for powder.

We finally gave up. I bought 123 scenar commercial loaded ammo and it shot poorly also.

Seems odd, because it shoots very well in other non grendel 6.5 guns I own.

Maybe the Grendel is just too slow for the 123 Scenar?
    NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• BryReloads
      Unwashed
      • May 2015

Ah well I guess I can get rid of them.

Comment

• wraith1516
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

The 108gr scenar is essentially a 123gr with less lead in it and it shoots 3/8" groups all day long if I do my part at 100 meters but im also using 8208xbr

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
          The 108gr scenar is essentially a 123gr with less lead in it and it shoots 3/8" groups all day long if I do my part at 100 meters but im also using 8208xbr
          I have 2 boxes of the 108's. I have 8208 and also AA2520 and CFE. Have you tried either of these other 2 powders with the 108's??
          I also had no luck with the 123 Scenar so am I waisting money and components trying the 108??
          Last edited by lrgrendel; 06-22-2015, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• wraith1516
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

No I haven't tryed the others, my recipe for the 108/123 scenar is lapua case cci #41 primers 28.5 gr 8208xbr c.o.a.l. is 2.24 " cases are trimed to 1.510". The reason I havent tryed them is the local gun stores dont have them in stock and im not going to pay an extra $25 on top of most places over inflated shiping and handling charges, if lgs gets them in I might try them
            btw my barrel is a blackhole weaponry 20" barrel dont know if that makes a difference I also have the .264 lbc chamber

Comment

• wraith1516
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

If you dont want the rest of your 108's pm me with a price I might be able to take them off your hands

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                If you dont want the rest of your 108's pm me with a price I might be able to take them off your hands
                Ok.Will do. Thanks

Comment

• BryReloads
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2015

I don't ever see 8208 or just about any AA powders. I just got a few pounds of CFE223 from Midsouth and it gets me over 2500 with good groups. I shoot long range so the difference in speed could mean going subsonic too early. As it stands, I go subsonic around 1400-1500 with 123 AMAX at 2550 (estimated).

Comment

• Jakal
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Funny you bring this up. Just got my Bartlein barrel from Precision Firearms (great looking barrel!). Broke it in with factory Hornady 123 SST, perfect ejection and .5 moa or less if I do my part.

Start to work up loads with CFE and the 123 Scenar. Overgassed, ejection about 2:00, unburnt powder but primers and cases look good. Accuracy wasn't bad but shooting I would have 3 clovered-leafed and the next 2 were off. Happened every time with 2 different charge ladders of 31.0,31.3,31.6 and 31.9 Speeds were not that great either 30.0 was at about 2330 fps. 31.9 was about 2430 fps.

I dropped CFE and went to AR-Comp, perfect ejection, speeds are up, last group threw 1.5 holes. Speed was 2486 for 27.9 grains

I'll try the SST and CFE to see if any luck with this combo and barrel.
                    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• PredatorDown
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2014

Not to get off subject, but Bry are you going to try the 1200 yard Milk Jug Challenge next month? I'm going to do my best to make it. Gotta keep representing the Grendel!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

The Pecision Firearms 123gr Scenar load was one of the most accurate I've ever shot in my 16" Grendel. I haven't tried 123gr Scenar with CFE though.

I'm moving more and more away from looking at particular loads, and focusing on the application of fundamentals when accuracy-testing.

Since the AR15 can be such a squirrely gun to hold steady, especially the lighter weight guns, I find focusing on the fundamentals to be the most important variable for me. Did you use any accuracy build techniques when putting this gun together?
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          The Pecision Firearms 123gr Scenar load was one of the most accurate I've ever shot in my 16" Grendel. I haven't tried 123gr Scenar with CFE though.

I'm moving more and more away from looking at particular loads, and focusing on the application of fundamentals when accuracy-testing.

Since the AR15 can be such a squirrely gun to hold steady, especially the lighter weight guns, I find focusing on the fundamentals to be the most important variable for me. Did you use any accuracy build techniques when putting this gun together?
                          Are you referring to PF loaded ammo? I see 120 gr Scenar, but no 123s. Do we know what their powder and load is?

Comment

• BryReloads
                            Unwashed
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by PredatorDown View Post
                            Not to get off subject, but Bry are you going to try the 1200 yard Milk Jug Challenge next month? I'm going to do my best to make it. Gotta keep representing the Grendel!
                            I'm planning to go. This Grendel is shooting better than my 300 lately, but I think I need to redo my 300 loads anyway lol

Comment

• BryReloads
                              Unwashed
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

When you say 'accuracy build techniques', what are you referring to? A friend and I are planning on competing in the Steel Safari Team Challenge next year and one of us had to have an AR type weapon. I had heard of the Grendel and the more I looked into it, the better it sounded, aside from the difference in price to build the 5.56 version. I have zero regrets on getting the Grendel; I can hear all my impacts and it carries like nobody's business.

Comment

Working...
                              X