Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Sickness and in Health

  1. #21
    Chieftain
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,095
    I had to laugh when i read Keith's advice to eat brown rice because it digests slower than white rice. I thought if you live in LA you were required to know that white rice was once brown. They polish the bran off and we feed the bran to our deer!
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

    Mark Twain

  2. #22
    kamrr4437
    Guest
    I just usually feed them corn lol. And an occasional 123 grain pill or a 325 grain from the beowulf lol. When i first started reading your comment i thought you were going to say something like hell you put rice in everything like jambalaya and you name it, since most people think we live in pure swampland lol. Then i saw you were a fellow Louisianan.

  3. #23
    joker31
    Guest
    oranges, milk and Morphine, Glorious Morphine... (I was wounded in Afghanistan and before that I was a 300+ PT guy) Now I try to keep my head right by watching Physics lectures, reading and only eating what I grow in my garden (Or my kids grow) or what I shoot. Cook with olive oil (Not Veggie oil) eat Garlic, a hot pepper every chance you get and plenty of Venison, Dove, Quail and Feral Hog (Free range Pork) Hippies got some things right. War was bad for me (hippies were right), Veggies good (hippies were right), free range food is good for you(hippies were right) and your government will one day infringe on all of your rights (hippies were right)

  4. #24
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by joker31 View Post
    oranges, milk and Morphine, Glorious Morphine... (I was wounded in Afghanistan and before that I was a 300+ PT guy) Now I try to keep my head right by watching Physics lectures, reading and only eating what I grow in my garden (Or my kids grow) or what I shoot. Cook with olive oil (Not Veggie oil) eat Garlic, a hot pepper every chance you get and plenty of Venison, Dove, Quail and Feral Hog (Free range Pork) Hippies got some things right. War was bad for me (hippies were right), Veggies good (hippies were right), free range food is good for you(hippies were right) and your government will one day infringe on all of your rights (hippies were right)
    Interesting what you learn when you take a wider view of the world.

    I have found that eating too many "heart healthy" whole grain carbs makes me jittery and my shooting accuracy suffers.

    I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 years by eating low carb/ high fat. Yes, a lot of fat. You have to get your calories somewhere.

    Many health benefits followed. Many mainstream "facts" are not correct.

    I have been doing 3 pullups a day for a few years as my weight dropped. I feel healthier at 60 than I did at 40.

  5. #25
    Chieftain
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,095
    Agree bj139, if we could avoid the carbs we would all be healthier.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

    Mark Twain

  6. #26
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    909
    I once did very poorly in an NRA 2700 match because I did not drink coffee.

    The rationale given to me is that coffee causes fine muscle tremors. I knew that to be true, but what I didn’t recognize then was one’s steadinessis really compromised the very first day one doesn’t drink the stuff.

    I now drink coffee to remain steady.
    shootersnotes.com

    "To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

    "If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

  7. #27
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    954
    In my experience with low carb eating I have found carbs cause me to be much more jittery than coffee.

  8. #28
    Chieftain
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,095
    I have found it more difficult to hold steady with a hangover. Never noticed any other food or drink affecting me.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

    Mark Twain

  9. #29
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I have found it more difficult to hold steady with a hangover. Never noticed any other food or drink affecting me.
    Plenty of coffee will settle one down just fine! ������
    shootersnotes.com

    "To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

    "If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

  10. #30
    Warrior Schrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I have found it more difficult to hold steady with a hangover. Never noticed any other food or drink affecting me.
    Crap, I see a problem... Hungover, then a 16oz cup of coffee, drive 35 miles to the range!! Wait, I didn't eat breakfast!!

    Wonder why my groups suck...

  11. #31
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    909
    Who can drive 35 miles after drinkg a coulle 16 oz cups of coffee?
    shootersnotes.com

    "To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

    "If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

  12. #32
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    659
    Pit stops...

  13. #33
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    909
    Yup!
    shootersnotes.com

    "To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

    "If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    Interesting what you learn when you take a wider view of the world.

    I have found that eating too many "heart healthy" whole grain carbs makes me jittery and my shooting accuracy suffers.

    I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 years by eating low carb/ high fat. Yes, a lot of fat. You have to get your calories somewhere.

    Many health benefits followed. Many mainstream "facts" are not correct.

    I have been doing 3 pullups a day for a few years as my weight dropped. I feel healthier at 60 than I did at 40.
    +1000!

    To sum it up in one word: Paleo. Look it up. A good place to start is by reading some info by a guy named Mark Sisson. High fat (of the right kind), low carbs, and moderate amounts of protein; I've been living this way for several years and I feel great at 58. It took about three days for my body to adjust to it after a lifetime of the SAD (standard American diet), but it was well worth the hassle.

  15. #35
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,763
    Guys:

    So, how does your specific diet and lifestyle (both are interrelated) combine to improve your marksmanship performance?

    LR55

  16. #36
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    954
    Being calm improves any high precision operation I do from assembly to shooting.

  17. #37
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    Being calm improves any high precision operation I do from assembly to shooting.
    b39:

    OK -- so what diet would you recommend?

    LR55

  18. #38
    Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    954
    I mostly followed this diet.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-...#axzz3MAN9q4H3

    HFLC = high fat low carb

    If you can eat less than 50g carbs per day and do it for a week you will be astounded at the health benefits. Relef of joint pain, headaches, nervousness, etc.
    Since carbs have 4 calories/gram this is 200 calories. Fat has 9 calories/gram. You must increase your fat consumption or you will be severely calorie deficient.
    Calorie deficiency is not dangerous since it is only a fast, which is recommended in the Bible.

    If you like to eat sausage, as I do, this will be easier. Eat as much sausage as you want at first, but no bread.

    One of the hardest feelings to get over is fear of eating fat. You must eat more fat than you think and don't fear eating it.
    Brainwashing by the medical establishment has been VERY effective. It took me about 2 months to realize fat was good for me.
    If you get a cut or burn do you slap a piece of bread on it or a piece of butter? Fat will sooth your GI system similarly.
    Carbs cause GI irritation, not fat.

  19. #39
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    I mostly followed this diet.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-...#axzz3MAN9q4H3

    HFLC = high fat low carb

    If you can eat less than 50g carbs per day and do it for a week you will be astounded at the health benefits. Relef of joint pain, headaches, nervousness, etc.
    Since carbs have 4 calories/gram this is 200 calories. Fat has 9 calories/gram. You must increase your fat consumption or you will be severely calorie deficient.
    Calorie deficiency is not dangerous since it is only a fast, which is recommended in the Bible.

    If you like to eat sausage, as I do, this will be easier. Eat as much sausage as you want at first, but no bread.

    One of the hardest feelings to get over is fear of eating fat. You must eat more fat than you think and don't fear eating it.
    Brainwashing by the medical establishment has been VERY effective. It took me about 2 months to realize fat was good for me.
    If you get a cut or burn do you slap a piece of bread on it or a piece of butter? Fat will sooth your GI system similarly.
    Carbs cause GI irritation, not fat.

    Bj:

    Sorry but I didn't ask what diet you followed.

    I asked what diet would be ideal for marksmanship performance.

    There are diets that are ideal for marathon runners, swimmers, alpine and Nordic skiers, weight lifters, cross fitters, etc. Got to be one out there for marksmen.

    Just asking but it needs to be focused on improving marksmanship skills.

    LR55

  20. #40
    Chieftain montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    live in Montana
    Posts
    1,686
    Any diet that maintains ones basic health. Lets get real, there is no diet specific that could realistically be considered a marksmanship diet that could not be matched to a healthy diet. Marksman ship is not a physically demanding endeavor demanding a specialized diet. Any diet which provides healthy nutrition for ones over all nutritional needs based on age, sex "chromosome determined, not identity" health, etc, is all that is required. It would be better to discuss which specific exercises, "healthy life choices" that could be a detriment or asset for marksmanship skills. I do know low rep, heavy lifting can destroy fine motor skills compared to higher rep, lighter weight. Cardio exercise will improve blood flow for eye sight, dexterity and focus. There are more important factors for marksmanship than a specific diet. Perhaps eat more carrots LOL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •