• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

129gr ABLR with CFE Range Results Chrono Data 17.6" Lilja Barrel

Just got back from the range after doing some testing with the 129gr ABLR and CFE.

Rifle: Lilja 17.6" barrel SAAMI chamber, lightweight Wasp profile, PF bolt
    Temp: 89* F/ 31.6* C

Case: Hornady 1x fired
    Primer: Rem 7 1/2
    Bullet: Nosler 129gr ABLR
    Powder: Hodgdon's CFE223
    *Powder is vibratory settled*

123gr AMAX on left, 129gr ABLR on right

1st Ladder
    COL: 2.284"
    30.0gr 2345
    30.3gr 2360
    30.6gr 2427
    30.9gr 2453
    31.2gr 2501
    31.5gr 2441
    31.8gr 2548

2nd Ladder
    COL: 2.271"

30.0gr 2372
    30.3gr 2379
    30.6gr 2396
    30.9gr 2419
    31.2gr 2465
    31.5gr 2492
    31.8gr 2491

Kinda interesting how the COL changed things. More compressed, they behaved much better and much more predictably. The longer COL loads had significant jumps in pressure, as you can see.

I suspect running them closer to the lands resulted in the pressure spikes. For me and my chamber, I won't load past 2.271", and I might even look at going down to 2.260" if I can. The ABLR takes up a lot of case capacity as we know, but CFE seems to behave better with it when compressed.

I settled the powder in each of these cases with my vibratory polisher, which is what allowed me to get more charge weight in them. After I consult with JASmith, I'll have a better idea of where we are at in terms of pressure. Right now, I personally would not go over 30.9gr with the 2.271" COL.

That gives me a load that is supersonic to past 1400yds at the elevation we were shooting at today (6600ft). Expansion on these is advertised down to 1300fps. In the conditions we were shooting today, that would go out to 1250yds. For the last batch, I just aimed at the same point on the target at 100yds. I put 8 rounds, all with different charge weights, into 2.2" vertical, with 2 outliers on the velocity opening it up top and bottom.

Within the center of the group, there is a nice cluster of 4 that are sub-inch. Based on the data I have now, I'm comfortable with running my initial batches between 30.3-30.9gr to lay down accuracy nodes and averages, then go to a solid load that I'm happy with.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-06-2015, 03:37 AM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Great to hear. Hopefully you'll find a good load that shoots bug holes for you.

Thanks for sharing that data with us.

I am hoping to hit 2300fps with a 12.5" barrel, and your data looks like I might be able to get close at least.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

If you load 30.8gr, you'll probably average ~2250fps. That keeps you within expansion out to just short of 800yds at sea level/59* from a 12.5" SBR.

You would also have just short of 900ft lbs of energy at 350yds.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The more I look at this bullet, the more I like it. It's a bit long, but that can be overcome with vibratory settling your charges.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          The more I look at this bullet, the more I like it. It's a bit long, but that can be overcome with vibratory settling your charges.
          100% agreed.

It looks awesome on paper with the high BC and the 1300fps expansion threshold. If it can be shot accurately (and your prelim looks good), it's likely going to be my number one "go to" bullet for my 12.5" when it gets done. I'll be looking to chase down every last FPS I can safely squeeze out of it, then pick the most reasonably accurate load close to the top.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

L- 52,,,I know you like the heavies, yet I texted you a pic of the 110 ABLR, I made up, 2 weeks ago,, still have it for posting? The best of cfe 223- is max filling, by charge wts. Don't go over load data!

I'll find some time to empty my I 5 fone of pics,, to send these out asap. I'm full here, plus on another mission also.

I think the lighter ablr is perfect for the Grrr. I am to push this along , soooony.
            Back me up dude.

Good to see you had good luck on the 129's.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 07-02-2015, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

A Nosler factory 110gr ABLR would be killer in the Grendel. I'm still interested in the 129gr for heavier game.

We're looking at possibly using it this upcoming Elk Season. Here are the custom pills Sneaky sent pictures of:

110gr ABLR next to 105gr GMX
              Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-03-2015, 08:03 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Sounds great for close work on elk.

My goal is 110 , for deer sized game. That, and adjust the weight per state, northern, middle states, southern deer.

This formula will work on all pills.

Heavy in cold temps, lighter in texas. Adjust accordingly. Deer have a tendancy to shrink in size the farther south we go...

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Expansion at slower speeds, as planned? In the 129 class.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                    Expansion at slower speeds, as planned? In the 129 class.
                    This bullet doesn't really go slow. It may star slow, but it does not like to slow down at all. I added the pic of the custom 110gr ABLR and 105gr GMX above.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

This bullet doesn't really go slow. It may star slow, but it does not like to slow down at all. I added the pic of the custom 110gr ABLR and 105gr GMX above.
                      Whats the overall length of that 110gr?
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        Whats the overall length of that 110gr?
                        You'll have to ask Sneaky to measure one. Updated OP with pics of loaded cartridge.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

You'll have to ask Sneaky to measure one. Updated OP with pics of loaded cartridge.

Well sneaky what is it man? haha

I'd like to see it at 1.29". I suspect that 1.28" +-0.02" is going to be the sweet spot for bullets in the Grendel.
                          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Here's the video from 6.5 Guys talking about bullet seating tips and techniques to increase accuracy, get more case fill, and some of the tools and approaches they use.

Many of the popular loads for long range precision shooting involve powder fills at or close to 100% with long high BC bullets that push down into the powder column. These compressed loads result in the familiar crunching sound one hears when seating a bullet. As we demonstrate in the video, unless the powder is completely settled it will push back against the bullet a little differently each time. These differences will result in seating depth variations but will also affect conentricity due to bullet yaw. The goal is to settle the powder as consistently as possible across all cartridges and if possible avoid powder compression altogether. Even if a load remains compressed, variations can be minimized with consistently settled powder.
                            Now that we have the basics down, we regularly revisit each aspect of our reloading practices and ask how we can improve them. In this article we will discuss compressed loads, their impact on bull…

This 129gr ABLR has a lot of legs to it.
                            Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-08-2015, 06:31 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2015

Good post and tips, in the Video's. On compressed loads have tried the long drop tubes but like one of those guys the tooth brush does a pretty good job. The tip about turn the case 180 degrees and seating the bullet again is something I have been doing at least 25 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X