• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terrywick4
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

bolt carrier lock on dry fire

I like to leave my guns in the fired position when storing, I have one ar that the bcg locks and needs a fair amount of force to pull the bcg back and cock the hammer. With the hammer locked in fire position it works flawless. I put in a different carrier and it works fine. Any Ideas?
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I went through a similar situation this spring. Bought a LPK, and a H.G., upper parts, etc. Built my own from scratch...

The hammer- disconnect would not play well together. Had to figure it out on the sly- some hand filing was needed for clearance is all that was needed for complete reliability.

Try lubing all parts firstly- run the action manually.
    Something is binding- clean all parts. sharpie marker them to see a bind- rub - pinch point.

Check bolt & lugs for excessive burrs.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Disconnectors need to be timed on occasion. A lot of the JP Triggers require this, and the instructions talk you through it very nicely.

A lot of the LPK's out there will work fine, drop in and go. We're pretty spoiled in that regard since many people come to the conclusion that they are now a certified rifle-builder, when it was really Skill Level 1 Armorer tasks.

The best thing about the AR15 design is that it's so easy for anyone to assemble and work on.

The worst thing about the AR15 design is that it's so east for anyone to assemble and work on.

When you run into problems that would have been common for previous firearms designs, requiring trouble-shooting and fitting, you can get into various degrees of skill required.

Once metal is removed from a common wear location, you're stepping into materials hardness and longevity concerns. This is what killed a lot of after-market 2-stage triggers for DCM, NRA Hi-Power, and other competitions with the AR15, and why Geissele rose to the top of the pack. He knew how to manage the materials science based on a history of high European craftsmanship.
      Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-09-2015, 05:44 AM.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

In hind sight- it was the hammer- the upper hook spot that was the issue- .020 later - it was fixed- fine. Palmetto armory LPK.

I'm sure china made, not mil spec.

Comment

• terrywick4
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Actually it was an oversized firing pin. I found this out on a forum on ar-15.com. I swapped out firing pins and all is great.

Comment

• terrywick4
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

here is pictures of where firing pin is oversized. Glad some folks on Ar-15.com where there to help.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X