• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DB13
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2013

Alexander Arms Brass

I was trying to reload some once fired AA cases yesterday and could not get the primers to fully seat. I measured the depth of the primer pocket - .043 in. My Hornady brass has a primer pocket depth of .119 in. Has anyone else encountered this?
  • wheelguner
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

No offense intended, but are you sure about that .043" dimension. You are in the range on the diminsion for the Hornady. I measured 10 new Hornady case and they avg .120+/-. I don't have any AA or Lapua cases. I have attached a pic showing Primer Dims from most manufactures. How about a pic of those primer pockets.
    Primer Data.jpg

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Yeah, something sounds not quite right.

For it to be once fired brass, it had to have had a primer already in the pocket once. If the pocket depth were really only .043" then the original primer could never have been seated....
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

DB recheck your depths.

Comment

• DB13
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2013

P1030304.jpgI re-measured the AA primer pocket depth and got .065 in. I tried to seat both Tula and Winchester primers with both a hand priming tool and the one on my Hornady press. The primers would seat about half way. I don't think this photo will show enough.

Comment

• DB13
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2013

I think that I have figured it out--I had a batch of 25 cases that I enlarged the flash hole-- I think that when the drill bit was removed it pulled some brass up into the primer pocket. I just measured another batch of once fired cases that I hadn't messed with and they're very close to the Hornady dimension. Moral, don't enlarge the flash hole. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

• Boostmeister
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

Enlarging the flash hole is not an issue if you use the proper tool. This is what I use:

or

The tool will take care of deburring the flash hole and enlarge to standard sizing.

Comment

Working...
              X