• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZ. Old Guy
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Which 6.5??

I have a Remington 700 long action with a shot out .270 barrel. I want to rebarrel to a 6.5 to go with my Grendel AR. With a .473 bolt face which 6.5 should/can I go with? Creedmore, 6.5-06?? Your thoughts appreciated. Gary
    NRA Lifer
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

6.5-06
    .260 Remington
    6.5x284 Norma
    6.5 Creedmoor

Since you have a long action, the 6.5x284 makes a lot of sense, but it's a barrel burner. You can load long on the COL without worrying about action or magazine length, with the right reamer.

The 6.5-06 fits right into the action size you're using, as well as the magazine dimensions. Here's a really good article on it:

Home of Rifle Magazine. Subscribe, order back issues, and buy Sporting Goods at great prices.

Brass is available, but expensive. You can form it from .25-06, .270 Win., and .30-06.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Can't get first link to load. I have a bunch of .270 brass, some new for the 6.5-06. Thanks
      NRA Lifer

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

First link works fine for me, and I printed it out. I've been thinking about the same thing but for a Model 70 in .270 Win. I don't want to really change it though since it has sentimental value, and shoots really well for a Featherweight, non-floated, no trigger job, rack-grade M70 from before 1964.

I took her out recently since she has been neglected for so many years, and shot some of my .277" 135gr SMK hand loads through her. Printed at least one sub-MOA group, with a 5x scope with thick reticle lines. I need the wrenches to adjust the old Winchester trigger.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

I got the link to work. I'm with you on not cutting up a featherweight 70. Mine is just used up after a lot of Hot loads and a few trips killing prairie dogs wit smoking 110HP reloads. My action is still good though.
          NRA Lifer

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

There's a nice set of load data for the A-Square version on Ammoguide: -- http://ammoguide.com/?catid=184 --

Over 2900 fps with a 140 gr bullet aib't too shabby!

Nor is over 2800 fps with a 160 gr bullet.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

It basically makes the .264 Winchester Magnum pointless, the 6.5-06 that is.

So, what about all those comparisons of the 6.5-06 with the .264 Winchester?
              One would think that the magnum case would have the edge. But a comparison of the actual chronographed velocities of factory loads and handloads, as published in various
              loading manuals, reveals that the two cartridges are more alike than different.

The average velocity of nine loads for the .264 Winchester with 140-grain bullets is 3,087 fps, not all that far from the average of 3,007 fps obtained with the 6.5-06. But the 6.5-06 uses only
              about 52 to 55 grains of powder to achieve these velocities, compared to about 62 to 73 grains for the .264. Stated another way, the .264 Winchester uses 26 percent more powder to
              get only 2.7 percent more velocity than the 6.5-06.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

I have a coupe 6.5-06 s. They are nice guns. The only drawback is the lack of factory ammo. On the other hand a 6.5x55 Swede may fit your bolt face(ask a gunsmith). If it does, the Swede has lots of factory loadings and you can buy still hand load it up almost 6.5-06 levels.

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I rebarelled two 700 la to 260 ackley improved and they're getting 2870fps with 140 Bergers and close to same with 139 scenars. Maybe not your best choice but it's a good, accurate round. They're sub moa guns out to 1100 so far. In my opinion, I'd go bartlein or kreiger on the pipe. There are lots of great barrels out there but these seem to be most consistent. Check out what top shooters in prs series shoot and you'll get a lot of great info.

Richard
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

That 6.5-06 sounds interesting and I have a ton of .270 brass new and used. Now I need to find someone to do a barrel. Probably 22" would make a good hunting rig.
                    NRA Lifer

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                      I have a coupe 6.5-06 s. They are nice guns. The only drawback is the lack of factory ammo. On the other hand a 6.5x55 Swede may fit your bolt face(ask a gunsmith). If it does, the Swede has lots of factory loadings and you can buy still hand load it up almost 6.5-06 levels.
                      I was thinking this as well. Factory ammo availability for 6.5x55 Mauser is probably best among all the 6.5's, if you look at the PPU loads. Ammoseek lists 192 different factory options right now.
                      6.5 Creedmoor would be next in availability, then .260 Remington.

Pricing favors the 6.5x55, so you get more trigger time options than any of the other 6.5mm bolt gun chamberings. You can shoot for $13.47 per box of 20, or $0.673 per round.
                      Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-03-2015, 06:06 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Factory ammo wouldn't be the issue. I have a couple bolt guns that have never had a factory round down the tube. I have always reloaded for everything I shoot. I'm wondering about Dies though. Have to do a search.
                        NRA Lifer

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Another thing to think about, if it matters to you, is powder consumption. 6.5-06 has about the same charge weights compared to 6.5x55 Mauser.

If you are occasionally going to hunt with this, then the 142gr Nosler Accubond Long Range would make an impressive do-all load for game. The BC on it is off the charts at .719 for G1/.320 G7.

Talk to your smith about throating no matter which way you go, starting from what you want to happen on-target, then working back through the flight performance and internal ballistics necessary to make that happen.

With 6.5x55, you'll top out in the mid 2700fps for a 140gr. With 6.5-06, you can break 3000fps with a 140gr.

.270 Winchester brass is stronger than -06 as well, since the .270 Winchester is SAAMI rated for 65,000psi MAP. 30-06 Springfield is rated to 60,000psi MAP by SAAMI.

If you run the ballistics on that 142gr ABLR going 2950fps, it stays supersonic out to almost 1600yds. It has 1000 ft-lbs at 900yds still. Crazy.
                          Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-03-2015, 06:33 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

That is impressive. Now I need to figure cost to do it.
                            NRA Lifer

Comment

• adamjp
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2014

I have a 6.5-06 built on a Ruger No.1 in the AB pattern.

Firstly, I wouldn't go less than 24in in barrel length. Even at this length mine is a bit loud.

For dies I use a Forster 30/06 Bushing Bump die with a 292 bushing. Redding 6.5-06 seating die.

Cases are Remington 270 win necked down and trimmed to length.

I am trying out some 140gn Woodleigh bullets tomorrow - they are the same price as the 140gn Sierra SPBT, no US panic buying stuffing up availability and a better hunting bullet as well. If they don't work, I will get into the 160gn Woodleighs.

Comment

Working...
                              X