• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Re-using Dented Cases

Hello all, as some of you may know I am just getting into reloading for the Grendel but have been loading for my bolt guns for many years and my 7.62x39 AR for the past year. I find that my brass for this round gets alot more damaged than does my 7.62x39 brass out of the same platform.

My question is this. Can I re-size and re-use cases with a decent sized body dent? I have attached three picture of 5 cases that have dents that I think look questionable. when I look inside the case there is a noticeable indentation inside the case. Do I have to scrap this brass after only being shot once?Is there a rule of thumb as to which cases to keep or scrap?

Thanks guys.
    Attached Files
  • Younger
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

I resize and shoot the dents out. Looks like you have a ejection problem that is causing the dents. I would try to fix that first. Do you have an adjustable gas block?

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Reuse em. You could probably use an adjustable gas block, as well as trim a little bit off your ejector spring to soften that a bit.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Mesa1978
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Yes, load 'em and shoot 'em with the dents.

Comment

• 1911man
          Warrior
          • May 2015

Awesome, I was worried about wasting alot of brass. You guys dont think the dents will effect pressure/accuracy at all? I believe I have narrow the dent problem down to the shell deflector I had a buddy watch my rounds come out as I was firing and he could pick out the ones that were going to have dents based on how hard they hit the deflector. I am going to put a piece of velco or something soft on it and see if that helps.

Comment

• Mesa1978
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
            Awesome, I was worried about wasting alot of brass. You guys dont think the dents will effect pressure/accuracy at all? I believe I have narrow the dent problem down to the shell deflector I had a buddy watch my rounds come out as I was firing and he could pick out the ones that were going to have dents based on how hard they hit the deflector. I am going to put a piece of velco or something soft on it and see if that helps.
            Velcro was a quick and effective fix for me to get the dents out. Adjustable gas block got me the rest of the way there.

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Is the idea of the adjustable gas block that my gun is launching these cases out at high speeds and that I can adjust the gas down to compensate?

Comment

• Mesa1978
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Yes, That is how I use the one I installed. They are described as being most effective on shorter barrels that get higher peak pressures, but I have liked mine on my rifle length system, too.

Comment

• wfa17332
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2015

Use them.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Velcro worked on mine. They were dented on the mouth though.
                    NRA Lifer

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

If you don't want to spend the money for an adjustable gas block you can buy an adjustable gas key. There is a srew adjustment on the key to kimit the gas. I have never used one but it is another option. Not as easy to change for different loads but I have read some postive post on the adjustable gas key.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Your cases look totally normal. The trail edge of the ejection port often causes the dents in a gun that is gassed really hard. You can do several things to tame your ejection in order to slow cyclic rate and treat brass more nicely:

* Adjustable gas as mentioned
                        * Increased buffer weight
                        * Increased recoil spring weight
                        * Reduced ejector spring length

The pile tape from Velcro works only on the brass deflector/Brunton bump, which doesn't always cause these dents. I personally just process the brass as normal and don't worry about it if I see it.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1911man
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

Awesome, thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
                          X