• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Another Way to Call Hits/Misses

I've noticed that when I'm out shooting 1400 yards, hits can be hard to call at times. It's far enough away there's no way I can hear it when I make a hit with the Grendel.

Here's my solution! It'll take a little tweaking, but I'm convinced I can get this to work. I taped a two way radio onto the back of the gong, and set it to VOX so it would key up the mic automatically. I put a rag between the gong and the radio to keep as much of the shock from the impact away as possible.

The only real drawback I noticed was that on VOX it would take a moment to activate the microphone, and sometimes I wouldn't hear anything on my end. A quick solution would be to tape down the mic button, and leave it always active. I'll try that next time!

This was done at 1000 yards just as a proof of concept. I have a hard enough time doing 1400 on a calm day, so with the wind today I decided 1000 would be good.

Granted this won't help me know where I'm hitting, but it will at least let me know if I'm hitting. And at 1400 yards, that's all I can ask!
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Great idea!
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Another technique is to rig an impact-triggered light bulb. I've seen guys do this in Finland for these occasions.

BTW, notice how he is able to make quick repeated hits on steel like it's easy or something? That's what is really cool about this caliber, since there is hardly any recoil or muzzle blast to speak of.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PredatorDown
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

I hadn't even thought about having another visual reference to signal hits. Any idea how one would go about rigging one up on the cheap? These radios were bought with a $50 gift card to Sportsmans Warehouse

The ability for quick follow up shots and still being able to reach way out is the entire reason I built this rifle. I wanted a long range coyote gun with the ability to sling a lot of lead if multiples were called in at once.

5/7 shots at 1000 yards in pretty rapid succession isn't too shabby in my book! Not to mention those were 5 consecutive hits in under 12 seconds

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

What elevation are you shooting at?
          Nice idea with the radio BTW!

Comment

• jawbone
            Warrior
            • Jan 2012

at 1400 yards, PD, i could tape it to the front with no fear of hitting it.

Comment

• stevegun 1
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2014

Klem, you are a very bright fellow, thank you.

Comment

• jiml
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2015

Outstanding idea. I don't hear real well but I think that would work for me. Good shooting in the wind too.

Comment

Working...
                X