• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

322 lb Boar and 3 Piglets

Took Ben (HuntTXhogs, used to post as Benny Bone, here) down to Bosque County as the Hessian was unavailable. He asked how things normally go and that is how they went for this evening as well.

Spotted this big boy just as the sun was going down behind the trees. Made a long, round about stalk to get into position. Just before we started shooting, if you turn the volume up on the video, I exclaimed, "HOLY CRAP.....Are you sure that is a hog??" Then you may want to turn the volume back down.

This is a hog that was caught on one of the game cameras 2 or 3 weeks ago that I told the landowner that I would prefer hunting from a tree stand.

Had trouble finding all the wounds on him. Found 6 wounds for 7 shots fired, one of which was an exit, but could not find the entry. My last shot glanced the top of his skull as he was running and finally dropped him, although several previous shots were definitely lethal. Even so, he was still not dead and we used a pistol to finish him.

Tried hunting predators for a while in the next pasture and didn't see squat.

Went back to the oats and then found a bunch of piglets. They were closer and smaller than I realized. We only found 3 despite looking for the better part of an hour.

I think the coolest part of the evening was having the landowner come over as we were getting stuff out to haul out the hog and he gave us permission to drive through his oats field to get it...and said to bring it up to the house because he wanted to see it. He asked what I thought it weighed when he saw it and I said we taped it at about 320, but that we were going to find a tree to get a scale weight. He asked how the tape method worked and I explained. He then said to pull it around back where they skin their deer and we could just weigh it there. He was hugely impressed when the scale read 322 lbs. We had been telling him weights on hogs for the last 6 weeks and he knew we had some method we used, but he had no idea if it really worked or was just a bunch of hooey. Made a believer out of him.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Great video, as always. But good Lord! I can very easily imagine Ben leaning over and saying to you "I think we're going to need a bigger gun".
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

Nice cutters, you going to euro mount him?

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

I'm beginning to think that you only sleep in the daytime and have gone nocturnal like the pigs....Good shooting.

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

nice shooting on the monster. piglet chaos looked fun, too.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Well, thank you! Ben did a great job and aside from the fact that we had not hunted together in a while, we managed to coordinate fairly well.

I screwed up on the piglet chaos. By the time we got to them and could see them, I did not realize that they were actually smaller than they were and were closer than they were. I thought they were bigger and further away. It does make a difference, LOL. I figured we might get one shot or one shot each and that would be about it and they would be gone into the brush. So I had on too much zoomed magnification for a too narrow field of view for tiny targets that were too close.

No matter how many times I do this, I manage to learn that I was ignorant on yet something else.

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

that's a trophy boar there Brian, congrats to y'all both! I second Kikn, he needs a skull mount!
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

That poor things head is not in good shape, I am afraid. The last shot on it (which was by me) downed it, but also clipped the head nicely. He was still breathing and blinking when we walked up on him and a couple of pistol rounds were put into his head. His skull is toast, I am afraid.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

That boar was just taking those shoots and shrugging them off! I believe it would have take multiple shots from most platforms. Great Job!
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• jiml
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2015

Good shooting and good flick too. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                    X