• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • san antonio fj
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Shot my best ever .2 moa group with wolf gold @ 200yds

I was using the the bottom duplex of the scope to shoot at 200yds and it looks like I forgot that for one round and used the normal crosshair (the 5th round at the bottom), anyways Im not this good of a shooter there had to be some luck here. I have some sub moa 100yd groups ill post because I have heard about boat tailed bullets going to "sleep" at longer ranges as this group was much tighter than my 100yd groups and was wondering if this may be it. Also can someone do the magic ontarget calc to the photos for me?

200yd

100yds

Gun was a 20" BHW light profile type 1 with a Saker muzzle break (suppressor should be here any day) RRA 2 stage and a old Burris 6-24x scope and Wolf Gold 120gr ammo. I cant believe how well this shoots. I was originally buying this ammo for the brass to reload but I dont know if I can load any better for its price!
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-15-2015, 10:37 PM. Reason: .2 MOA
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Everything came together! Good for Wolf Gold, good for BHW, good for the shooter!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

That first group is .25 MOA or less if it was at 200yds. The others are sub-MOA.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the PPU 120gr MPT load as well.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• san antonio fj
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2015

Lol I was calling it a 2moa because of the 5th rnd at the bottom where I used the wrong hold, my other 200yds were rather poor and I left them at the range, I forgot to put the screws in my ALG rail and it slid forward and finally pushed my gas block out of the way. I built this right before a vacation and forgot I disassembled part of if and didn't notice I didn't tighten it down.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Good to see that the normal dispersion is discussed too!

That is a much better metric on how well thie ammunition does than the few really imoressive targets.

Yes, I have to admit tossing more than one 'alibi' target because ot looked horrible. Then there are the odd targets that have more holes in them than should have been given the number of trigger squeezes...
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• jiml
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2015

It will be interesting to see if you can tighten it up with reloading. Fine group like it is though.

Comment

• GLShooter
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

That is good shooting. Apparently the bullet, barrel and shooter were all in that day!!

Greg

Comment

• GatewayShepherd
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2015

San….the whole bullet going to sleep is a myth. The cone of dispersion from a barrel can not physically bring a bullet back into a tighter group at a further distance. Its not a boomerang. Target panic at closer ranges is a more likely scenario that causes people at times to shoot better at farther distances. When your unable to see where bullets impact you aren’t worrying about turning that 4 in one hole into a 5 in one. At long distances people also tend to concentrate more on the fundamentals then that last minute adjustment of the reticle. Another probable scenario is that you inadvertently steered the bullet back closer into the group by your point of aim when the shot breaks.

Comment

• san antonio fj
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

That could be, Im headed back to the range in a few days and im going to see if the PPU shoots as good as the wolf, as far as I know its the same ammo so it should be pretty good

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GatewayShepherd View Post
                    San….the whole bullet going to sleep is a myth. The cone of dispersion from a barrel can not physically bring a bullet back into a tighter group at a further distance. Its not a boomerang. Target panic at closer ranges is a more likely scenario that causes people at times to shoot better at farther distances. When your unable to see where bullets impact you aren’t worrying about turning that 4 in one hole into a 5 in one. At long distances people also tend to concentrate more on the fundamentals then that last minute adjustment of the reticle. Another probable scenario is that you inadvertently steered the bullet back closer into the group by your point of aim when the shot breaks.
                    Actually, no. Bullets can and do "go to sleep". It is a function of gyroscopic precession, and is documented. It's even been measured with doppler. I've also watched it in .50BMG contrail videos.

The barrel isn't bringing the bullet back. The bullet itself isn't bringing itself back. It simply begins to experience less random divergence from it's original aiming point.

To see it yourself do this: Take a top, spin it up, and drop it on the floor. It'll skid a might and then settle down just like a bullet does. It's hard for me to explain, so I'll try to dig it up. Back in a bit.

ETA: Dangit. I'm at work and having a hard tiem finding the vid. When you search .50BMG you get a wall of derp regarding chemtrails.LOL

Maybe someone else can find it.

ETA2: still can't find the plot I'm looking for. I think I have a doppler plot in some stuff I got from Dean Michealis a long time ago. LR1955 can probably give some good info on bullets "going to sleep" as well. I know he has watched a lot of trace.

The vid I was talking about just happened to catch freakily ideal conditions (contrast and air-wise) so you could watch the trace of a .50 projo from real close and on down range. The bullet can be observed to wobble fairly wildly (diverging a fair bit from it's original point of aim) and then progressively calming down (experiencing less ADDITIONAL decay) as it proceeds down range.
                    Last edited by Variable; 07-27-2015, 12:25 AM.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• san antonio fj
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

I think I had seen a similar video to what you are describing a year or so back, Thats why I thought it could be that, but a lot of people were saying it doesnt happen and I dont know enough to explain it lol

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Interesting read on some testing, good links of reference at the bottom of this link

one of those links

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF8W5liSRc

Interesting read on some testing, good links of reference at the bottom of this link

one of those links

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/...efficients.pdf
                          Thank you Sir.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• san antonio fj
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                            nice links, Im still betting it was luck for that group to happen I wish I could say it was skill haha

Comment

Working...
                            X