• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luvnar
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2013

129/130 temp stable powder options

I'm thinking about buying the 129/130 accubond lr/ar hybrid bullets. I've scoured the forums and it seems like the powder options are cfe 223, xbr 8208, ar comp, 2520, blc2, and tac. I prefer the extreme powders but I am interested in anything temp stable. Will the Grendel experts please chime in with their preferred loads and data for these bullets and any pertinent info.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Get the 129gr ABLR, not the 130gr AB. I posted my recent range results over a chrono working up a pressure ladder with two different COL's and CFE223 powder with the 129gr ABLR.

It's right here in the Ammo & Reloading section.

Just got back from the range after doing some testing with the 129gr ABLR and CFE. Rifle: Lilja 17.6" barrel SAAMI chamber, lightweight Wasp profile, PF bolt Temp: 89* F/ 31.6* C Case: Hornady 1x fired Primer: Rem 7 1/2 Bullet: Nosler 129gr ABLR Powder: Hodgdon's CFE223 *Powder is vibratory settled* 123gr AMAX on left,
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• luvnar
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2013

Thanks for the reply and the work developing that load LRRP. I haven't used cfe is it as temp stable as ar comp and is anyone using that or other extreme type powders and getting similiar velocities.

Comment

• GSPHunter
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

Hi luvnar, I played around a little bit this winter with cfe223, LVR, and H4895. Down to about -35F, CFE and LVR lost about 3.1FPS per Degree C. H4895 lost about 1.8FPS per Degree C. As near as I can tell, Temperature sensitivity is very load and cartridge specific, and that there is no such thing as a non temperature sensitive powder. My tests were done by cold soaking the rifle and ammo outside and allowing the barrel to cool bolt open with 5 min between shots. Bullet paths and chronograph numbers correlated.

I'm going to test AR-Comp this winter to see how it does....but, to be honest, at -35F there was no significant change in 100yd point of impact, and out of a 20" barrel, the 123sst's were hitting within a couple of inches at 300yds and still above expansion velocity. To me thats good enough to take hunting!

Comment

• luvnar
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2013

Thanks for the info gpshunter. Good stuff. How much velocity did you gain or lose switching between cfe and 4895 ? The reason why I am concerned about temp stability is because I may load and shoot when it's 95+ and then hunt with that round when it's 30f. I don't want 2 loads just the one that I can count on out to 500 yards with a temp swing like that. Before it's suggested that it's unethical to take a deer at 500 with a grendel. Well if a huge buck walks out at 500 I want to take the shot because where I hunt you might not get another chance.

Comment

• FW Conch
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

If You will likely get a shot at 500yds, why insist on the Grendel? Old rule of thumb when hunting, "Always bring enough gun".

Just Askin? ... Jim :-)

Comment

• luvnar
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2013

Fair question Jim. I believe the grendel is enough gun at 500.
              Last edited by luvnar; 07-19-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Well the Grendel took a Montana Mulie or White Tail at 500+ yards last year and it dropped as if it was shot at a closer range. So you have enough gun!
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• pds
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

luvnar,
                  This thread has info on the temperature sensitivity of different powders: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ture-stability.

PDS

Comment

• GSPHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by luvnar View Post
                    T How much velocity did you gain or lose switching between cfe and 4895 ?
                    at 65 degrees with a 123sst, 32gn of CFE223 runs around 2550FPS. The same load at -35F was running about 2375FPS. 28.0gn H4895 runs at 2440FPS, at -35F, I was seeing around 2340. I have a fat and slightly long chambered 20" barrel, so these loads might be a little on the hot side for your rifle. There is a point at which the lines cross between H4895 and CFE, but its colder than I would want to hunt in!

My opinion, for what its worth( NOT MUCH!), is that the best chance of meeting your goal will be to shoot 129gn accubond LR, and maybe use PRVI brass. The 129ABLR should expand down to 1300FPS and the PRVI brass tends to hold the most powder ( 0.5gn more fireformed water capacity than Hornady). If you can get decent speed from AR-Comp or 8208XBR, use it, otherwise, try CFE223 or Leverevolution and accept the greater loss with temp.

Good Luck!

Comment

• luvnar
                      Unwashed
                      • Jul 2013

Just got the 129 ablr in. They are really long. I'm thinking about trying enduron 4451. I don't really expect any breakthroughs on speed as it doesn't look like there's much room left in the case for powder.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2014

Hi Luvnar, LRRPF52 did a thread on CFE223 with the 129ABLR not too long ago. If you look in the reloading section of the forum, you should be able to find it. Depending on your twist rate and barrel length it should be a usable bullet for you. I haven't personally tried this bullet, mostly because my 1-9 twist 20" rifle wouldn't stablize the 127gn Barnes LRX, so I decided to keep a bullet length limit of 1.3"

I get really good results with PRVI brass, 140gn Sierra GameKings, and Leverevolution powder. 3rounds of 30.0gn of LVR gave 2370FPS 17ES.....31.0gn gave 2465FPS 2ES. 31.0gn is pushing the pressures over max for sure, but at ten feet from the chono, my numbers were 2458, 2458, and 2460 :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X