• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Happy Birthday! It's a 9 Lb 3 oz BHW!

Got it all together, yesterday, and loaded up some break-in fodder.

The build:

Receivers: Matched PF Upper and Lower, bought from Mark this spring.
    Barrel: BHW 18" Std Profile, Satin Stainless (.750" at block, MLGS).
    Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
    Hand Guard: UTG 15" Super Slim.
    Buttstock: Ace Socom, RL.
    GB: YH Low Profile.
    Bolt: Les Baer
    Carrier: DPMS
    Compensator: BHW Dragonhead.
    Optics: Disposable Vortex 3-9 Crossfire II. (Only there until I decide on an optic.)
    Mount: Burris PEPR.

Without the scope, it comes in at 7.25 lbs, with scope at 9.2 lbs. (The barrel came in just under 2.5 lbs.)

At the range, today, I ran some sighters through it and was not disappointed.

Sight in ammo was some 85 Gr. Sierra HP Varmint's over 28.5 gr of H322, a recipe I'd never tried before and only selected to have something for break-in, etc.

By the 15th round, it was zeroed and shooting under 1/2 MOA.
    Over the chronograph, it was averaging ~2670 fps.

I need to stop and say that this is the first weapon I've equipped with the SSA-E trigger. While I'm not quite used to the takeup on this trigger (it is a 2-stage, after all), it breaks quite smoothly and predictably. Definitely a top-notch trigger. I still like the Timney single stage on this rifle's older sibling, but this Geiselle is very, very good. Worth every cent.

I've got a load workup set to go, but that will be for another day. In the meantime, I'm quite pleased with this "off the cuff" load, shot through a $150 scope with a tootsie roll for a reticle.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-19-2015, 12:31 AM. Reason: Added MV
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • Dentite
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2015

Awesome! Looks great and looks like a shooter. I have a pile of parts sitting here for my first AR build (it will be 6.5 as well). Just waiting on some cerakote so I can put it all together. I have the SSA-E trigger ready to install, glad to hear you like it.

Comment

• danm
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Oh that's nice, kind of exactly similar to mine! But different...

Comment

• danm
        Warrior
        • Aug 2014

Well at least the BHW 18" and Dragons Head linear comp

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Congrats On the new build. Im really thinking about doing a 18" build with a BHW barrel with there 20% off sale
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• danm
            Warrior
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
            Congrats On the new build. Im really thinking about doing a 18" build with a BHW barrel with there 20% off sale
            Do it, great barrel for the $...

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by am4966 View Post

C'mon... You know you want it!

Originally posted by danm View Post
              Do it, great barrel for the $...
              Darned Skippy! I only received a mere 10% discount on mine, but I'd do it every time. It also pays to inquire about fluting, threading, etc. If it's like the last one I bought, the discount applies to all of it.

ETA: Just checked, and that 20% discount is good for barrel, fluting, finish, etc. Sale runs to the end of the month.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-19-2015, 03:01 PM. Reason: Confirmed discount
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Congratulations! Boy or girl? Name?
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                X