• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jackem
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Intro & 1st build

Lurked long enough to assemble a Grendel and it's time introduce both of us:

I'm Jack, long time shooter and former Marine, but new to building ARs. Spend most of the year on Colorado's Western Slope, but some time in CA too so I wanted this rifle to be CA compliant. Targets, coyotes, and maybe a mule deer at some point are the intended uses of the gun.

PF forged receivers from the Horde group buy
    18" Lothar Walther 1:8 match barrel chambered by PF
    SLR HG (it's a 15" - think it would look better with a 13")
    SLR adjustable gas block
    PF Supermatch bolt and BCG
    BCM charging handle
    Vampire mag button
    Magpul STR stock
    Magpul MIAD grip
    Wolf buffer spring
    Brownells H2 buffer
    QD end plate

I had a take off LWRC trigger I polished and added a JP reduced tension spring kit. It's not a Gessele but better than mil-spec. Hope to get to the desert early tomorrow for function test and barrel break-in. The ACOG is temporary until I decide on a scope and mount.

Jack
    Attached Files
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Welcome to the board!

Looks like some good stuff in your build. Im sure you will love it.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Jackem
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

Thanks! Couple of things I forgot to mention: The barrel was miss marked by PF, I took Mark up on his offer to upgrade the BCG if I accepted the barrel. The other is a thanks to all those on here that answer the questions of us unwashed...

Jack

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Welcome!

Comment

• Jackem
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

Thanks!

I learned a couple things reading your post about load testing and accuracy nodes

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Welcome. Please update us on your results. She should be a shooter!
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Jackem
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

Range report

Got to the desert early, no wind and cool-ish. Set up at 100 yards, and went through barrel break in and adjusting the gas block. Loaded one round in the magazine and increased opening the block by a click until the bolt locked back. SLR said 5 - 7 clicks but I ended up at 9, maybe because of the H2 buffer?

Closed the block during cleaning, and cleaned between each round for the first 10. Took a look at the target and wondered if I forgot to tighten the scope.

Rifle functioned well but continued to hold about 3 MOA through 30 rounds, so I knew there was a problem. After getting home and taking the handguard off I found a problem. The screw on the side of the GB had a shiny spot and so did the HG.

I took a bit off the screw and relieved the HG and now have at least 1/8" clearance, which I hope is enough. Hope to get back out for another test run this week.

Jack
                Attached Files

Comment

• danm
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

Nice, disagree about the handguard length though... 15" is perfect with an 18" barrel... My opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X