• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

measuring chamber headspace

Is there a way to measure the headspace of your chamber. So as to adjust your die for minimum sizing
  • lwminton
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
    Is there a way to measure the headspace of your chamber. So as to adjust your die for minimum sizing
    Get one of these:

and measure a fired case which is a good approximation of your chamber. For an AR, adjust the sizing die until the reading from the indicator is 3-5 thousandths lower.
    You need to call Redding to get the correct die to fit the Grendel case. They told me the 6 PPC was ok and I have used that for years - it works with ease and I check cases all the time. I set mine into a T7 and leave it there. The size of the fired case grows a wee bit over time so I check now and then to make sure.

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I use the hornady lock and load head space gauge and bullet comparator.

Comment

• lwminton
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by lead chucker View Post
        I use the hornady lock and load head space gauge and bullet comparator.
        The problem with this tool is that you are looking for a few thousandths and just the variation in attaching the gauge will be more than that - or who knows how much.

The II does not vary once set up and works like a charm. You will nor be saving any $ in the long run by going with cheap tools.

Comment

• lead chucker
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I have used the Hornady head space gauge for years and have never had a problem. I measure fired cases from each chamber and set shoulders back 3 to 5 thousands for gas guns and 2 thousands for bolts. Its always been accurate and repeatable. I have never had a head space problem either.

Comment

• lwminton
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

I have used the Hornady head space gauge for years and have never had a problem. I measure fired cases from each chamber and set shoulders back 3 to 5 thousands for gas guns and 2 thousands for bolts. Its always been accurate and repeatable. I have never had a head space problem either.
            Measure your fired case and then take the thing apart and then put it back together and measure again and report here the difference. You missed my point that there is no way of knowing how much slop there is in the setup. The II is setup once. It is a better tool - by far.

Comment

• GLShooter
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
              Measure your fired case and then take the thing apart and then put it back together and measure again and report here the difference. You missed my point that there is no way of knowing how much slop there is in the setup. The II is setup once. It is a better tool - by far.
              I took it apart and redid it three times on a fired case. No variation in numbers. Since you zero the calipers with the gauge in place I don't see any slop.

Greg

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                I understand your point, but there is no slop. I took the housing off the calipers and the gauge out of the housing, put it back together and re-measured brass...no difference. I do pay attention when mounting the housing to my calipers to make sure their in the same place and tight. Like I said, never had a problem.

Comment

• lwminton
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

I understand your point, but there is no slop. I took the housing off the calipers and the gauge out of the housing, put it back together and re-measured brass...no difference. I do pay attention when mounting the housing to my calipers to make sure their in the same place and tight. Like I said, never had a problem.
                  good

Comment

Working...
                  X