Cool Video on Cerakote

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

Wow that's incredible. I knew Cerakote helped prevent corrosion but I had no idea it was that great!

After seeing the phosphate carrier and key disintegrate, I'm wondering if you can Cerakote your carrier? Any tolerance concerns? Bolt as well?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

If you're doing a high wear component, such as a BCG or the inside of your upper, then use Micro-Slick. Regular Cerakote will gall in high wear areas that are subject to surface friction between articulating parts.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CastorTroy
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

i had my KAC carrier done in microslick. gotta say, it is pretty damn smooth....

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Ok, i will be the devils advocate.

When i get ready to go to the beach and swim for 84.75 days with my gun around my neck i will get it cerakoted first.

I just don't get everyones concern for corrosion. I am willing to bet none of us will ever be in a situation where we expose our gun to 84.75 days of salt water without wiping it down with some sort of petro.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post

When i get ready to go to the beach and swim for 84.75 days with my gun around my neck i will get it cerakoted first.

I just don't get everyones concern for corrosion. I am willing to bet none of us will ever be in a situation where we expose our gun to 84.75 days of salt water without wiping it down with some sort of petro.
            Boating accidents happen all the time....
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

You could be a deep sea diver and forget that it's slung on your back while welding oil rigs...

Doesn't take long for pitting to show up on the inside of your barrel if out in the weeds, mist and rain for a bit.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Doesn't take long for pitting to show up on the inside of your barrel if out in the weeds, mist and rain for a bit.
                Cant cerakote the inside of your barrel.

Guess I'm weird, I like black and silver, black on black. Not much on camo or other colors on guns.

The saltiest my guns see is the palm of my hand and i wipe them down periodically. I just don't see the need for more protection.

Mark Twain

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  Boating accidents happen all the time....
                  Yeah, but isn't that how you lose a gun

Or so I'm told.

No doubt it is a tough coating.

Good night folks.

Mark Twain

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

I have used Cerakote Micro-Slick on my last 3 builds on both the carriers and the inside of the uppers. It is great stuff. It is a lot of work and preparation to do correctly but I love Cerakote. Another great fact about Cerakote is after you Cerakote your firearm you can paint over it with regular paint like all white for winter camouflage and come spring just wipe the paint off with acetone.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Or you might end up in one of my Winter courses.....

For me and my needs, there are very legitimate demands for Cerakote, and I wish we could have had all of our equipment coated with it in the military. The time it would have saved on machinegun spare barrels alone would exceed its weight in gold, never mind tripods, M16's, M4's, etc.

Here's one of the guy's rifles after that course in February:

It's now fully Cerakoted FDE, to include the steel screws on the handguard, scope mount, rings, LPK external small parts like pin heads, selector, mag release, etc.
                      Last edited by LRRPF52; 08-04-2015, 05:05 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kb18no1
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2015

Holy ball sack

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Wow, what yall got in the water out there? I have had guns out in wet weather and never had a problem like that. They fo get wiped off back at the camp.

When i was a kid I had a Remington 1100 spend the night under water after a boat accident and it faired better than the gun in those photos. The blueing held up fine. The only permant damage was the stock cracked a bit from swelling.

Mark Twain

Comment

• rabiddawg
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2013

I assume to paint one and do it right, each and every piece has to be removed and painted separately?

How do you keep from cracking the finish when torquing the screws down or driving in pins?

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X