• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

200 lb Boar and SST 123 Gr. Penetration

This boar showed up when we were expecting a sounder with 2 or 3 adult sows and a mess o'piglets, so we went ahead and took the boar. We failed to find the sounder, however.

The shot was at 80-85 yards with factory Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo. The shot entered the right shoulder, breaking the humerus, passing through the chest cavity, clipping a lung and hitting the heart, breaking ribs (at least) on the left side and producing at least two wound channels that were stopped at the left side shield. The larger wound channel contained jacket parts. No lead fragments were found during the cursory attempt at recovery. The jacket parts were actually embedded in the shield itself.

As near as I could measure it, penetration was about 10".
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting! I really enjoy your post and videos.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

I kept saying, "Shoot him! Shoot him, while he's still!"
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Spear Dane
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2015

Is that an AA Grendel you use? I've about decided that ping is really annoying.
        and when you all get shot and cannot carry on, though you die, la resistance lives on.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Nice porker!

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Spear Dane View Post
            Is that an AA Grendel you use? I've about decided that ping is really annoying.
            The ping is from (and solely because of) an AAC "Blackout" flash suppressor. The three equal length prongs act like a tuning fork. Some people like the ping, some don't. It can be eliminated by simply grinding the tips to differing lengths.

The old argument was that it would somehow "give you away", but then you did just fire a rifle shot though... LOL!!!

Mine do the same thing, but I find it humorous and so have kept them that way. They work verrrrry well at flash suppression.
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

I've about decided that ping is really annoying.
              I sort of did at first. Then I met a guy who had seen some of my videos. He said, "You're the guy with the ping videos. When I hear that ping, I know something is going to die." He had pretty well decided that it was "my thing." He, like Variable, said he had a rifle with the same flash hider and it did it as well. Anyway, I didn't realize that the 'ping' had sort of become my Youtube trademark that people listened for in the videos, so I have not modified my flash hider to get rid of it.

So my rifle is now "The Machine That Goes 'Ping'" (which is a catch phrase from a Monty Python skit, actually).

I agree with Variable, this are outstanding flash suppressors, ping or not.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Hopefully, I'll get my Zeus 3x 640 core 75 mm lens zeroed in tomorrow or Friday. Careful watching those "thermal" video's guys, they start out innocent enough, but there's a "dark" side to them (pun intended). You'll be breaking out the credit card, if you're in pig country.....See you on Friday Drift.

Edit.

Don't change a "thing about the ping"

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

I had always thought you added a "ping" sound for effect.
                  The more you know.
                  www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                    I had always thought you added a "ping" sound for effect.
                    The more you know.
                    I think that if I was adding sounds, I would add some sort of 1950s sci-fi space gun sound instead! :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X