X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

@sneaky one, how bout a 14.5" instead of 16? Variety is the spice of life!

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

14.5"-- I'll see if BFT can get a thread up for it. Good idea.

Comment

• Boondoggle
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by BigStickSmoker View Post
        Thanks....they are handloads that seem to shoot well out of my Alexander Arms Overwatch and an Alexander Arms Lite 16 barrel that I built not knowing how long I might wait on the Faxon buy, as well as this new Faxon 16 inch build. Maybe it was me, but I had a much better group with the Faxon, but then again I have a level on it that I don't on the AA Lite 16 barrel. I think they make a difference for me to hold the same every time.

Handholds are 26 gr of 8208 XBR in case you were also wondering that.
        Do you have velocities on that load? Thanks for the great info.

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

Thanks sneaky! I think 14.5" pinned would be a great whitetail rifle for my part of Appalachia.

With a little luck, I might be able to get the upper with the 16" pipe from this group buy set up for the last weekend of rifle season. (Still waiting for a decent sale to get the handguard.). Was thinking about getting it chopped to 14.5 until I saw your post about 1/4" groups. I'm itching to see what this pipe will do!

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Boondoggle View Post
            Do you have velocities on that load? Thanks for the great info.
            Out of my 24 inch AA Overwatch I get avg of 2339

I did not do a check with the Faxon barrel yet but the AA Lite 16 avg is 2208

Rather modest velocity but this is what shoots well for me so that is what I load as it has given me the most consistent grouping. YMMV

Comment

• henschman
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

I finally got to shoot mine. These are my targets at 100 yards, from prone with a bipod. Upper left one was when I was dialing in. This was with 123 SST factory loads -- I got 2380 fps average with them.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Good deal! Thanks for the report. What are the increments of the squares?
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• firstshot
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2016

I've got the barrel, but haven't bought the bolt yet. Would the AA 6.5 Grendel Hard Use Bolt work with this barrel? Would it need to be head spaced? Any other recommendations?

I'm new to AR's so please excuse the newbee question.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

That bolt should be ideal for these barrels.

Hold the barrel muzzle down and drop a round into the chamber. Turn it muzzle up and see if the round drops free.

Fire your first round from the hip and see if the bolt locks back on the empty magazine.

If you have Hornady's headspace comparator, you can measure the fired case and see what your chamber's headspace is.

Comment

• firstshot
                      Unwashed
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
                      That bolt should be ideal for these barrels.

Hold the barrel muzzle down and drop a round into the chamber. Turn it muzzle up and see if the round drops free.

Fire your first round from the hip and see if the bolt locks back on the empty magazine.

If you have Hornady's headspace comparator, you can measure the fired case and see what your chamber's headspace is.
                      Thanks Drillbos!!! I appreciate the feedback. I'll order the AA Hard Use bolt and follow your instructions once its put together. By the way, when I turn the muzzle up should the round drop free or not?

Comment

• Drillboss
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by firstshot View Post
                        Thanks Drillbos!!! I appreciate the feedback. I'll order the AA Hard Use bolt and follow your instructions once its put together. By the way, when I turn the muzzle up should the round drop free or not?
                        Yes, with no more than a light tap. If not, run some solvent patches through the barrel and swab out the chamber.

I need to go check mine.

Comment

• Schrambo
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

OK, I've officially got the bug, too... LMK if there are any leftovers or a new 16" group buy...

Comment

• RogueNathan
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2015

We are thrilled to see the shootings results. Keep them coming!
                            The Director at Faxon Firearms.

Please send us an e-mail anytime! Nathan.S@faxonfirearms.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 2011

Thanks to Sneaky, got my Faxon 16 built into an upper.

Shot 10 rounds of 65G Wolf this past Sunday just before sundown to function test it. Works great! Next will take to range and accuracy test it.

A few photos attached.
                              Attached Files
                              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Redomen
                                Warrior
                                • Jun 2016

All I need for mine is an upper reciever and JP scs and gas tube so I can put mine together.

Comment

Working...
                                X